Chapter Five: Round One, Fight

"You what?!" Nailah shouted. "I leave you alone for five minutes and you've already gotten into trouble!"

"Calm down," Alfie said, removing his dress shirt.

"No, I will not! I will not allow this," she demanded.

"It don't concern you, luv," he said.

"Alfie, William is a trained boxer, he will win," she said, her voice changing from anger to worry.

"Luv, look at my body," Alfie said, now in his boxers.

He opened his arms to show her his impressively chiseled body.

"I think this is hardly the time to boast about your physique," she said.

"No, what I'm saying is that I've been keeping in shape. How, you ask? By boxing," Alfie said, walking over to pull out a pair of casual black trousers.

"So, these last two years you were boozing and boxing? It's a miracle you aren't dead," she said.

"Yeah, yeah," he said, brushing her off and shrugging on a shirt.

"Eric is going with you?" she asked, folding her arms.

Alfie nodded and buckled his belt. He looked over at her and could see was seriously concerned. He walked over and cupped her chin in his hand.

"Look, luv, that wanker needs to be taught a fucking lesson. He's gonna get a real surprise thinking he has the upper hand on me," Alfie said.

"Be careful," she urged him.

He wanted to kiss her just then. It had been so long since he had felt her lips upon his own. But he needed to keep his wits together. He had every intention to knock out William during the match so he dropped his hand from her chin and nodded.

"I will," he said.

Eric was outside Nailah's flat leaning up against his automobile. Alfie came down and the two started off toward the military fort. When they got there Alfie was surprised that the soldiers let them in without issue. The soldiers seemed actually glad something interesting was happening that night and treated both Eric and Alfie in a friendly manner.

"Ring is right over there, Dr. Solomons," a young soldier said, pointing over to a makeshift boxing ring.

"Cheers, mate," Alfie said, making his way over.

It was just nearing one a.m. and William was already waiting in the ring warming up. Alfie climbed in and removed his shirt, handing it over to Eric.

"Alright, you got this. Knock this limey fucker out!" Eric said, before hesitantly adding, "Uh...no offense?"

Eric was an American archeologist and for a brief moment forgot Alfie was English too.

"None taken," Alfie said then turned to walk to the center of the ring where William was waiting.

"Three minute rounds, for twelve rounds!" a man said, who was posing as referee for that night. "Or until one of ya are knocked on yer arse!"

A crowd of soldiers had gathered and they hooted and hollered, all excited for the match to begin. Both Alfie and William got into their stances and the referee shouted for them to begin. The two men sized each other up. Alfie was stouter, more compact than William. The British officer was taller and heavier, which meant he would be slower than Alfie. But William would take that into account. Alfie could tell William wasn't an idiot. As soon as Alfie took his stance, he knew that the other man would know that Alfie knew what he was doing.

Alfie released a quick strike first, testing his opponent's reaction. William weaved away and sent a left hook toward Alfie. Alfie leaned back then jabbed twice at William's side, William edged his side inwards trying to avoid the impact. Alfie connected both times, but it was a soft blow due to the block. The men danced in a circle, taking light jabs every now and then until the first round ended. The second round continued more of the same, but by round three, both men were tired of being cautious and started taking risks.