Chapter Three: Adrift on the Nile

It was late afternoon on a Wednesday, a few days after Nailah had helped release Alfie from prison. She had proposed that they relax for the remainder of the day after having a busy morning of planning supplies, labor and schedules for the expedition to An'Kah. The whole ordeal was a bit trying as they had to tread carefully, they did not want to incite unwanted attention from the British government. What the British government found out, the RGS could find out too. Having the RGS find out that they were attempting to find An'Kah would certainly throw a wrench in their plans.

Sitting on a covered boat, Alfie and Nailah drifted down the Nile. The river water sparkled like sapphires in the midday sun. The boat, not being far off shore, allowed the passengers a pleasant view of the riverbank which was lined with dazzling green flora and beautiful white lotus flowers. Occasionally, one could get a glimpse of a crocodile wriggling into the water or an Ibis touching down into the water to claim a fish. Alfie loved Egypt. Out of all his travels, he had been to many wonderful places, but Egypt was his favorite.

The two sat toward the end of the boat around a small table. The boat wasn't large, but it was roomy enough to accommodate themselves and three other groups of people without impeding on each other's privacy. Nailah was flipping through a book, it was in Arabic and it was at least four decades old, the paper yellowed and on the verge of crumbling.

"You brought a book? I thought we were supposed to be relaxing?" Alfie asked.

They were both wearing light clothing, Alfie wore a white cotton shirt and light brown linen trousers. Nailah wore the same, but a light brown linen long skirt. It wasn't a good idea to wear heavy English fabrics in Egypt, unless you wanted to sweat to death.

"I am relaxing...so, what do you think of this silly curse? The Goddess Sekhmet destroying the city and all?" She asked.

Alfie arched an eyebrow and sat forward, resting both arms on the table.

"What's silly about a woman's wrath? I've seen plenty of women show me a similar desire for revenge," Alfie said.

She flashed her eyes over to him. "How many women?"

Alfie smiled. He and Nailah were an on and off again item. Alfie only saw other women when he and Nailah were off, but he was pleased she was jealous.

"What does it matter?"

Her eyes moved back to her book.

"It doesn't. Besides, I feel sorry for them," she said.

"Eh?"

"Their anger toward you was probably justified, you aren't exactly a gentleman," she said.

"Right...you know, I just don't know how you still aren't married. You being the perfect lady and all," he said, sarcastically.

"Just exactly what are you implying?" she said, closing her book and turning to face him.

"Nothing, just that you have an inane tendency to keep men at a distance," he replied.

"Inane?" she said, bristling. "And what is so wrong with a woman seeking out a future that doesn't require the assistance of a man?"

"Nothing wrong with that. But don't act all high and mighty, I know what you've been gunning for, a membership with the RGS. Well, luv, they're a bunch of old men who think that a woman should be at home and not in the field," Alfie retorted.

"You would think so, but no," she said, idly opening her book again.

"What?"

"Eight months ago, I was giving membership," she said, casually.