Chapter Two: Redemption

It had been three full days since Alfie had been thrown into a prison cell. He wasn't overly fond of being incarcerated, but he didn't have much choice in the matter. With this time lapse, he started to become sober. And as the Egyptian sun climbed into the sky on the third day, his body ached from the heat and from the withdrawal of alcohol. In the past, Alfie had never touched alcohol, not even a sip. His mentor, Avrom, was very dedicated to the faith and that helped Alfie keep in line with his own faith. But now, nothing mattered and alcohol was Alfie's cure-all. Stewing inside his cell, his ears perked up as he heard the sound of a small ruckus brewing in the prison yard. He stood up and moved toward the barred door. Resting his arms on the horizontal bar he watched as a woman and a British guard argued their way over to his cell.

"Do I look like I care? Honestly, I will see him this very instant," the woman said, her hips swaying seductively as she quickly walked.

"Miss, really, I must say, this is highly irregular," the officer said, trying to keep pace.

"She don't care what is highly irregular," Alfie said, amused. "Isn't that what the lady just said?"

The woman finally stopped just in front of his prison cell.

"Hello, Alfie," she said, unamused.

"You've come to recuse me, Nailah?" Alfie asked, a charming smile on his face.

It was Nailah Eidelberg, Avrom's daughter.

"Do not flatter yourself," she said, giving him a rather stern look.

She took an extra moment to look him up and down before speaking again.

"What have you done to yourself these last two years?"

"I've been reinventing meself, luv," he replied.

Nailah moved closer to the cell to inspect him and wrinkled her nose.

"You reek of booze," she complained. "Father would be absolutely horrified."

"Sure, but he's dead now, innit he?" Alfie said.

He watched her face darken at his comment, she came even closer, inches from his face.

"Miss, please stay back from the prisoner," the guard asked.

She ignored the guard and glared at Alfie.

"Thank god that he is dead. He would have been heart broken by your current state."

Alfie felt a pang in his heart, knowing full well that she was correct.

"Why are you here, eh? Did you come all this way to punish me for my transgressions?"

"No, I have not, although you certainly deserve it. I'm here to offer you redemption," she said.

"Redemption?" he asked, confused.

"Yes, and by the looks of it, you require it badly," she said.

No later than an hour, Nailah had Alfie released from prison. She took him back to the flat she had been renting in the better part of the city. It consisted of a small, but clean room. It contained both living quarters and a bedroom in an open concept space. A large window was open toward the city, the horizon could be seen as the sun baked the stone buildings and the breeze shifted the leaves of the palm trees. Indigo-dyed cotton curtains hung by the window and intermittently fluttered into the room as the wind passed by.

"You need a bath," she said, picking up a small bell and ringing it.

A moment later, the door opened and a petite young woman entered the room. Nailah spoke to her in Arabic and the woman nodded and left the room. Alfie looked over and saw that a porcelain tub was in the corner of the room, right out in the open. After a few more moments passed, three servants entered the room carrying hot water and fresh towels. They did their work quickly, filling the tub, placing the towels on a side table and setting an unused bar of soap on top of the towels. Then, just as quickly, they left the room.