6

"I know you don't like to talk about this sort of stuff, but I'm curious..." Mom's been looking through the racks of shirts and jackets at Merry-Go-Round.

Sighing, I pluck a black and white shirt from the rack, wrinkling my nose in disgust. There's no way someone would wear this.

"What are you curious about?" I put the shirt back on the rack, meeting mom's gaze.

My mother was nosy; I'd known it my entire life and experienced it firsthand when dating Steve. She wanted to know everything and loved to hear about my life. I knew it came from a good place, but I was shy to share details with anyone. My usual reluctance was a factor in her excitement when I said I'd be bringing Eddie home to meet her.

Deep down, I knew she cared about who I chose to spend my life with. Mom and dad wanted me to be happy, but I knew that it came with the expectation to move home to Hawkins and mimic their lifestyle.

I couldn't imagine a world where I chose to return to Hawkins permanently; there were too many memories that I didn't want to revisit every day. Besides, I loved the city, the noise, the people, all so different and interesting. And best of all, Eddie was there.

The fluttery feeling fills me again, worrying me. Why did the thought of him cause such an adolescent reaction in me? I need to get it together before I do something or say something stupid and ruin our friendship. Losing him as a close friend would be worse than my parents and family discovering that I've lied to them about my relationship status.

"How did you and Eddie meet? You hadn't mentioned him before this trip. Was it not-- official?" Mom's questions pull me from my growing worries.

"Oh," I rack my brain for a believable answer, "No-- No, it was official. We just..." Damnit! "I wasn't sure if it was the right time to bring him to meet you. You know-- meeting parents is a big step--" And damnit, I'm making this more confusing and convoluted than it already was.

"It is. That's why I'm surprised you didn't mention him previously."

She's found a tear in my story, and I don't exactly know how to patch it up neatly. I move the clothing across the rack, thinking as I pretend to search through the shirts.

"I wanted to make sure, you know-- That it was going to last before I got everyone involved..." Internally, I cringe. It's going to break my mom's heart when Eddie and I 'break up.' I'm only going to make this worse by continuing to talk.

Her face lights up, and I realize I've just made a fatal error. She's all but beaming, probably thinking our 'relationship' is headed towards a wedding arch.

"Do you--" She's trying and failing to hide her smile, "think he's 'the one?'"

I know I have a choice to make here. Sell the lie and say yes, or deny and contradict myself. I choose the lie. Who knows, I convinced Eddie to fake date me; maybe I could convince him to marry me and absolve myself of the lies I'm telling.

I'm so dead.

"Mom, please, please," I can not stress the word please hard enough, "Do not say anything to Eddie--"

"I'm not going to! But, you don't have to worry. The way he looks at you, I can tell you're on the same page."

The way he looks at me? Eddie doesn't look at me like that-- He doesn't. I mean, there's no way-- The fluttery feeling begins to grow once again.

"What?"

"And, he had only good things to say about you this morning at breakfast. I like him a lot. Very chatty for a man."

A chuckle escapes my throat, "He is, isn't he? Really, he never shuts up. But, I like that, I guess." Look at me, not lying! His excessive talking was one of the reasons we ended up friends.

Mom's smile has reached her eyes now as she listens to me speak about Eddie with fondness in my voice.

Her happy expression embarrasses me, and I try to clear my throat subtly, "But, you asked me another question. I think about how we met?"

"Oh, yes. I was just curious. You've never mentioned anything, and I like that types of story, you know."

"Well, uh--" Do I tell her about the band or just skip to the part where he tracked down the Tape World I worked at? Skipping the band part makes the most sense, plus mom would dig the romance of him searching me out. Even if he was only trying to return a ring I'd left behind at the bar. "Well, we met initially at a burger joint, but he forgot to get my number. But-- he remembered that I mentioned working at Tape World. So, Eddie spent the next afternoon going to each location around the city until he found the location I work at. He asked me out, and well, I guess the rest is history."

As I thought she would, mom eats the story up, "That's so romantic!"

I smile down at the rack, "Yeah, I guess it is."