2: Iris (Emma)

"Emma! You're up!" Mr. Banks yelled over the excited din in the gym.

Emma walked to the stage, her heart pounding with exhilaration. She pulled her guitar out of its case and adjusted the microphone so that it was pointing at her mouth. She began to play the guitar, and her nervousness left her as her stage presence fed her confidence. She began to sing, and her voice filled the gymnasium; powerful and beautiful. The song was over all too soon, and she left the stage, feeling content.

Luke was waiting for her at the side of the stage. He gave her a huge hug. She flushed at his embrace. Her heart sped up.

"You were fantastic," he said, kissing her temple. Her skin burned where his lips had touched it. They were in eleventh grade, and were just auditioning for the spring musical. Luke was one of the first to go up, and his performance was every bit as perfect as Emma's.

Emma and Luke had been best friends since before either of them could remember. They were practically inseparable.

"Should we go?" Emma asked.

"Sure. Wanna go get some coffee?" he asked, holding the door open for her.

Together they walked to their favourite coffee shop and he went up to order. He brought back her coffee with soy milk and his soy chai latte. She passed him a five dollar bill to cover her coffee, and he pocketed it. They did some homework together and then discussed the audition. They both thought they did pretty well.

The school was putting on West Side Story, which was one of their favourite musicals ever. And, luckily for them, they were doing a colour blind cast, so there was a good chance for the both of them.

Luke was a really handsome sixteen year old, a half-Jamaican half-white boy with nice dreadlocks in a ponytail, huge eyes, and a wide smile. He was one of those people that everyone automatically felt comfortable around.

Emma was absolutely gorgeous. Her hair was shoulder length and curly, with a large streak dyed purple on the left side. Her face was perfectly smooth and kind, her eyes dancing and bright.

The two of them finished their coffee and walked to the subway to go back home. They were neighbours, which meant that basically the only time they weren't spending time together was when they were sleeping.

Luke stayed for dinner and they hugged goodnight at about eleven o'clock. As soon as he was it the door, Emma leaned back against the wood and sighed, her cheeks still flushed.

***
A mob of crazed drama kids was gathered around the gym door. Emma and Luke were near the back, having arrived late due to a brief leadership council meeting.

After a few moments of hubbub, one of the drama teachers emerged from the doors and struggled to find a space large enough to post the cast list. Emma and Luke, among their peers, waited with bated breath.

They heard the distinct sound of the staple gun, and the wave of your thespians launched at the list. People walked away disappointed while others whooped. Emma and Luke were the last two to see it, but the wait was worth it.

Emma would be playing Maria and Like would be playing Tony. The two hugged each other tightly, Luke swinging her around. Emma's lips burned. She so badly wanted to kiss him. Instead, she sucked them in and smiled at Luke, resisting the urge to curl back up in his arms.

The two went out to celebrate at the coffee house, grabbing their usual seats.

A few of their friends stopped by to say congratulations, but they were preoccupied talking about their roles.

On the way to the subway station, Luke said casually, "So we're going to have to kiss, huh?"

Emma giggled, a fire ablaze in her abdomen. "Yeah, I guess so," she replied, looking away awkwardly, her face flushing.

She glanced back, only to see him looking a little awkward too. She stopped walking and he turned around.

She took his face tenderly between her hands, staring into his eyes. He looked surprised, but she felt determined, albeit terrified. She stood on her tiptoes and pressed her lips against his, her body ablaze. She pulled away breathlessly, wanting more.

Luke's lips were parted, his expression shocked. Emma's heart pounded, terrified that she may have ruined their friendship. She couldn't feel her legs as she waited for his response.

He took her face in his hands and kissed her back.

"You know, for practice," he said breathily after they had pulled away.

"Maybe we need a bit more," she returned, pressing her mouth on his again. This time, they didn't break for a long time.

***

They got back to the apartment building, holding hands. They both felt giddy and giggly. Neither of them could keep a smile off their face.

"Mom? Mama? We've got some pretty big news!" Emma called when they opened the door.

"Iris!" Her mother called. "Jasmine got into MIT! Your sister's going to MIT!"

Jasmine was a year ahead of Emma since she had skipped a grade, and she wasn't even going to be at home the following year.

Jealousy bubbled up inside Emma but she smiles anyway. "That's great, mom! Congrats Jasmine!" She said to her sister when she appeared in the living room.

"Yeah, congrats, Jazz!" Luke grinned, and Jasmine smiled at him shyly in thanks.

"What was your news, Emma?" Her mama said, appearing behind Jasmine. Her mama was the only person that used Iris' much preferred middle name. Both Jasmine and her mother thought that Emma was being silly.

"Well..." Emma began, looking a Luke. "Um, we got together!"

Luke grinned, placing a warm hand on Emma's shoulder. She smiled at his touch.

Her mama almost began to cry, rushing over to hug the two of them. Her mom gave them a hug too, and Jasmine gave them her congratulations.

It was a happy night.