5: Jasmine

James and Jasmine were hunched over a table, drawing interface diagrams. They were trying to create a database for an entire house: a fully functional, completely connected system that could work with any personal devices. It was very difficult, but they had been working on it for two full years, and were almost half way there.

"What do we do about the left circuit?" James asked, rubbing his temples. They were stumped. They'd been trying to figure out a way to incorporate the left circuit (including the fridge, stove, and all other kitchen appliances) into the rest of the house for over a week.

"I can't think,"Jasmine said. "It's two in the morning. Do you want to go to bed?"

"Yeah, I'm beat," James said, standing and stretching. The couple shared an apartment with a large living space full of blueprints, textbooks, and computers.

They walked to the bedroom and collapsed on the bed.

"Good night," James said.

"I love you," Jasmine replied.

***

The next night, they were eating take-out food over their blueprints, brainstorming, when James put his container down.

"Can we talk?"

Jasmine's heart pounded. "Sure," she said.

"Listen, I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time, but I was really afraid it would effectively ruin our relationship."

Jasmine bit her lip. "What is it?"

"I just want you to know that I love you, okay?"

"Okay," Jasmine said.

"Well, I've never told anyone this, because my parents wouldn't accept me, but now I'm at college, and I shouldn't have to care what they think any more."

Jasmine gave a nervous laugh. "Just tell me, please, you're killing me."

"Well, I'm... I'm transgender."

"What?" she asked, putting down her container next to his.

"Please don't get mad. And know that I wasn't trying to lie to you. I just... I'm a woman. In a man's body. It's... it's really complicated but that's it in a nutshell."

Jasmine exhaled deeply. "Oh," she said.

"What?" James asked.

"I thought you were going to tell me you were gay," she laughed.

"Well, I am in a way. I'm a bisexual woman."

"Oh, okay," Jasmine nodded, kissing James.

"You're... you're okay with this?"

Jasmine looked at him strangely. "Of course I am! Why wouldn't I be okay with it?"

"Aren't you mad that you thought you were dating a man?"

"Well, I do wish you had told me sooner, but... I love you. Your gender isn't going to change the fact that I'm in love with you."

James shook his head in disbelief. "I was so prepared to have a screaming match..." he laughed nervously.

Jasmine touched his leg. "So... what would you like me to call you? Are you going to start transitioning?"

James nodded. "Um, yeah. Well, I kind of thought I was going to start transitioning after school, but since you're so on board, I mean... yeah."

"Would you like me to call you Jamie?" Jasmine smiled, beginning to eat her take-out food again. "Use female pronouns?"

"Uh... yes. Thank you,"Jamie said.