Friends

The next day, Hans wasn't grinning. He was never happy when someone he knew got a star. Because he could never have the gift. Whatever it was.

          "Want to go by the river?" Zïâ asked. He loved the river. Hans shook his head. She couldn't see his face, his hair was too long, and was covering it up, because he was slouching, looking at the ground. Like he always did when he was upset. "How about the forest?" He liked the forest, too. Especially at this time of year, when the air was warm. There was a legend that the years used to start with the cold seasons. How horrible. He didn't answer, making Zïâ feel nervous. He seemed a bit unstable around her. Jealous. She touched his shoulder, lightly, but he still jumped away from her touch like it was a red-hot poker. His expression sent a chill through her, then made her want to cry. He had never glared at her like that before. Her lip wobbled, and she wished he would understand how horrible she felt for touching the star. But that was impossible. Her hand made a slight movement towards him again, like she beleived that she could calm him down, but not enough to do it right away.                                

               Twisting away from her hand, he growled," Just leave me alone." Zïâ felt miserable. And betrayed. They were best friends. How could he do this? All the other times, when he was mad at a gifted person, Zïâ made him feel better. But that wouldn't work now. Hans, I don't want The Gift. I want my friend back, she thought.

                   "Poor baby, he just doesn't understand. He thinks you would rather have The Gift than your friendship," said Hannah, the baker who took care of Zïâ and the baby Moçi when their parents were killed by invaders. Zïâ sat next to Hannah behind the counter of the bakery, sobbing into Hannah's broad shoulder. She was so busy crying that she did not notice Hans walk in, who had come to buy a loaf of bread, but stopped short when he saw Zïâ. Crying. Crying like a child, loud ,  trembling violently, her face contorted so much it looked painful.

                        "But how could he think that? How could even consider that I might prize my gift more than our friendship?" she spat out the word "gift" like it was something repulsive. "He's my friend," she said in a thick voice. Hans sprinted out before they noticed him.

                           Hannah was quiet, at loss for words. Finally rather quietly and lamely, she said,"Poor baby..."

                             "I don't want to talk to you," said Zïâ, her voice trembling. He couldn't see her red eyes, or he would know that she was lying. She tried to blink away her tears, remembering what Hannah had said about him not realizing how much she cared about their friendship. But they came too fast, too heavily, and slid down her cheeks.

                                    "Zïâ."

                                     "No."

                                    "Zïâ." 

                                      "I don't want to t-talk to you."

                                       "I'm sorry I was such a lame friend, and a jerk. I was just jealous. I was being stupid. I'm sorry." Stunned, Zïâ said nothing, just processing what he said, not really taking it in. Hans stepped towards her, bent down, and hugged her. Zïâ started to cry again, even harder, but silently.

                                       "It's okay. And you are a great friend, you know. It's not your fault. You have every right to be jealous. But..." she stepped back and grinned, her eyes puffy and red, her cheeks gleaming with tears," ...you were always stupid." Hans smiled slightly, and punched her arm playfully, but it still stung. Zïâ winced.And punched him back.