Magic

Zïâ and Hans walked home, sleepily, later than everone else because they didn't go back to the Ceremony. When Hannah saw Zïâ, she rushed towards her, and gathered Zïâ up in her big arms, rocking her back and forth. Zïâ started to cry again, quietly, putting a damp spot on the shoulder of Hannah's dress. After a few minutes, Zïâ fell asleep. Hannah carried her to her bed. Moçi saw the cuts on Zïâ cried with her, hugging her back. Hans slipped out of the room, the house, the fence, and went home, his hands in his pockets. Eventually, Zïâ and Moçi fell asleep, still clutching at each other for the hope of keeping their disintegrating lives together through a broken family.

      "You alright?" asked Ian. Zïâ was too stunned that he would care to respond at first. Eventually, she nodded. He smirked,"Good, because blood kind of disgusts me. And so do girls. Especially you." Zïâ was glaring at him, and Hans wasn't quiet this time.

      "Ian, shut up. It's not like you.....," he faltered, deciding not to bring up that Zïâ's parents were dead again. That was more important than getting Ian quiet. He remembered what he had said at the river. About Ian. He knew that the spot on the river didn't cause bad things. It revealed them. He would tell Ian later. Not now. Not in front of Zïâ. He didn't want to embarass Ian. But then again, he remembered, Ian has no problem embarassing me. Or Zïâ. What am I thinking? I'm better than that. Ian rolled his eyes. He had been doing that alot these days. He stormed away, muttering.

        Hans remebered what Zïâ had said about her Gift. And magic. He wasn't quite sure what she meant by magic. He looked at her,"Zïâ, what did you mean by 'magic'? I mean, what was it like?" Zïâ frowned, her green eyes thoughtful.

         "It was kind of like wanting to do something, but I knew it wasn't actually my wanting. Like, it was guiding me." 

           "I know that feeling. It led me to the Awful Spot." All of a sudden, a thought came into Zïâ's mind. What did the magic guide her to? That spot on the river. Maybe she was supposed to find out that the place revealed bad news. It brought Hans there. And he knew he was feeling magic when he went there. That was why he was so willing to believe her when she said the magic gave her a feeling. She had another feeling, but that was her own.

             "I don't think I'll ever feel magic like that again," she remarked softly. Hans nodded, lost in his own thoughts.