Chapter 07: A Matter of Pride

Patience and understanding are two rarest virtue humans could have today. ~ Wazim Shaw

"For God sake Susan

"For God sake Susan. When are you gonna arrive?" On tuesday Riddhima Gupta inside the college cafeteria and waited impatiently for her friend. "In a moment. In a moment." She heard her shrill voice coming from the phone. "I seem to have lost my other sock. Can't find it. Nope not under the bed." "Well. Hurry up. I have something important to tell you." Riddhima felt a cod jolt against her left leg but she ignored it for a while.

Eversince Armaan found out about her she had been quite wary about men passing beside her or even coming to the cafeteria. So far Armaan had not seen her. Riddhima had hoped even if he had found out she lived in the same building as him he wouldn't know about her college. But then a voice had told about the collision on that day. Does he recall that? Riddhima knew many recognized her because of her green hoodie so she decided to change from it and wore a yellow one instead.

It wasn't a good cover up but she loved hoodies and she wasn't going to give up on that for anyone. Not even her soulmate. The bell rang for the first lecture but the cold sensation wasn't going away from her leg. She raced to the women's restroom and shut herself into a cubicle after checking it was clean.

Then she bent down and pushed her pants to her kneecap. Please talk to me Riddhima. You haven't talked to once. Are you mad at me? Riddhima watched the black ink disappear from her skin. "Seen." She murmured to herself then fixed her pants and got out.

Her lectures were as boring as she expected but they were over in two hours and she finally got her free hour. She dashed out of the classroom. Susan was late. But why was she late? As far as Riddhima knew Susan was never late. Did she had any class today? Yes she had Physics and Chemistry. Back to back. Worse subjects to be made by mankind but Susan was fairly good in it.

Had there been some charity event she had gone to? No, it can't be. Susan would have told her. She ran back to the cafeteria but no sign of Susan. She then began her search of the entire college which lasted more than half an hour but still no sign.

As she ran back to the main building she knocked on someone at the entrance. "Oh I am so sorr-" She stopped when she saw it was the last person she had wanted to see right now. Madeline Smith smiled gently at her despite the fact that Riddhima had nearly grazed her books into her firm torso. "It's okay. It's okay." She waved a hand nonchalantly and then said in her usual sweet but authoritative voice. "So have you been practicing for the game?" Riddhima twirled one of her loose strands nervously. "Actually I am waiting for Susan. She and I are participating in the three-legged." Madeline nodded. "Well. Let's pray Susan doesn't play like the last time. I like your nose. Good luck to you girl. Hope you two win." Then she strutted away.

Madeline wasn't a horrible person but once she saw things were not going her way she could be pretty nasty. Riddhima watched her turn the corner and then she finally raced down to a quiet, deserted corridor and dialled Susan's number. It was after the fourth that she heard the familiar click. "Susan where the hell are you?" Riddhima demanded in a hissing tone. She did not hear an immediate reply. Instead she heard strange sounds on the receiving end.