one, suzie, do you copy?

JUNE 28, 1985

"—he also beat up steve last year, another red flag is that my mom has a thing for him and i think he does too. like i don't want him to imagine that i'm my mom, you know?" my best friend, y/n said as we scooped ice cream for our customers, one of the customers made a face as y/n said that.

we hand the ice cream to the customers and we both say, "have a nice day."

"wait, the lifeguard? is that why she's always at the pool with holly?" i ask, turning my full attention to her.

"yes! that's weird right?" she asked.

"yeah, it is. how did you start talking to him?" i ask.

"he's holly's swim teacher. i don't know if i wanna be involved with someone who likes my mom but he's pretty hot, so i'll entertain it. he asked me out again, so i'm seeing him tonight." she says, a group of kids walk into scoops ahoy. "what are you doing here?" y/n asked her younger brother, mike. mike started to ring to the bell, many times to get steve's attention.

"hey dingus, your children are here." i call, steve opened the shutters, revealing steve's annoyed face.

"again? seriously?" steve asked, mike rang the bell, one final time before steve opened the door for them to g into the break room and show them out through the hallway.

"i don't understand why my mom made nancy and i get jobs, but not mike. just because he's my mom's baby boy, he doesn't get a job." y/n says, crossing her arms, steve came back from letting the kids sneak into the movies.

"still can't believe you're going on a date with billy hargrove." steve said.

"believe it, harrington." y/n said.

"even how, anticlimactic that break up sounds, y/n thinks she's found her summer boyfriend." i say, y/n pushed me.

"i don't think it'll last but i kinda like him so we'll see how it goes." y/n says.

"i don't know, y/n. i'm right here, you know." steve said, y/n and i share a look and we laugh.

"you dated her sister." i say.

"yeah, so?" steve asked, with a clueless tone.

"robbie, add that on the board." y/n says.

"on it!" i say, running into the break room and writing about tally on the 'you suck' portion of the board.

-

the three of us were serving three girls when the power went out. we all just looked at each other in confusion, "that's weird." steve said, he started to turn off and on the lights, like that was gonna help.

"that isn't gonna work, dingus." i say.

"oh, really?" steve asked, switching the switch faster and aggressive. y/n just shook her head, after a few seconds of darkness the power came back on. "let there be light." he said, as if he did something. the girls softly cheered for him.

"let him believe he actually did that." y/n said, scooping ice cream, i take a moment to look at her features. the way her eyelashes flattered as she laughed, her beautiful eyes staring at me. "what, weirdo?" she asked, with a smile. i went back into my sense and looked directly at the ice cream.

"nothing, nothing." i mutter.

-

it was about ten, y/n got dressed for her date in the employees bathroom while steve and i waited to lock up. y/n came out of the bathroom wearing, a cream colored cardigan with a black stripe on the bottom and where the buttons are on the cardigan, white turtle neck, black mini skirt, and a matching cream colored bag on one arm and the other was holding her scoops ahoy outfit. she wore white heels with white lacey socks. steve and i stared at her in awe, she looked amazing. she smiled when she saw our reactions.