Chapter 6

Aubrey's fingers flicked behind Lora's back as she tightened the ribbons on the pale yellow bodice. Lora was contemplating telling the maid about the mysterious events of the night before but chose not to at the sight of the frenzy Aubrey was in. Duchess Adelaide was holding a luncheon in the garden and for whatever reason, Lora was invited. Everything was pastel-themed: the desserts, the dresses, the furniture. Even Aubrey's usual gray dress and apron were switched for a lilac dress with a shorter hem.

The whole morning Aubrey had been rambling about how quickly the whole party had been thrown together and how she needed to alter an old dress to fit Lora. To be honest, Lora would have preferred not to attend, but couldn't after Aubrey had poured her soul into making sure she had a dress. "We can't have you been outcast for not following the Duchess's theme," were Aubrey's exact words.

Thus, Lora stood primped and prepped in front of the mirror in a yellow lacy dress that was cut min-thigh, a very casual yet elegant look. Lora's chestnut hair was pulled up into a sleek twist and her hand was covered with white gloves. She looked just like any other court member.

As the pair walked to the gardens, Lora fiddled with her lace parasol. "I don't understand these things," she whispered with a huff, "The gaps in the lace don't even block all the sun."

"Logic has no place in court," Aubrey mused. "I must be off. I have to hand out miniature sandwiches. Though, I fear I won't be to suffer looking at anything pastel again."

Lora understood perfectly. The luncheon was a sea of pastels. Women were dressed in light and whimsical blues and pinks as they spread gossip about the other attendees. Lora bit her lip and looked for anyone she had spoken to at the ball. It seemed only the younger daughters of the court had received invitations. Though closer in age to Lora, these ladies hadn't been particularly interested in Lora's duty and the gold spinner as their parents had been.

A tap on Lora's shoulder interrupted any thoughts of leaving the party altogether. Lora was met by a sweet smile from the luncheon's hostess.

"Miss Caspar," Adelaide grinned, "I'm so glad you came! I feared you'd be far too tired from all that dancing you did last night."

"Your grace," Lora responded after taking a large breath, "I was more than happy to come. I was so honored by your invitation. How could I have refused it?"

The two women shared forced smiles and scrunched their noses at each other before faking polite giggles. Both succeeded in not rolling their eyes at the other.

"Of course! I wanted Farriage's savior to be more than welcome. After all, who knows how much longer, you'll be in the palace after tonight." Adelaide said in an icy tone but still managed to never let her smile falter.

"Whatever do you mean by that? Do you not think I can spin the straw into gold?"

"I'm not sure what dark magic you're using, but I'm not so easily fooled as the King and Prince. Poor dears, handsome, yet empty in the head."

"Perhaps you should be more respectful of the royalty, especially considering your hopes to be the new queen."

"Why would I need lessons from a baker's daughter?"

Lora felt her face heat. She laughed and raised a brow. "Pardon me, Duchess but – "

"Adelaide!" Nathaniel stepped between the two women just before Lora could speak very well out of turn. "This is a lovely party. Why don't you socialize with some of the other ladies."

Adelaide's jaw twitched at the prince's tone. She stared at him and Lora standing behind him, peering over her shoulder. "Fine," she grumbled before strutting off.

"You have impeccable timing, your highness." Lora laughed.

"I have a way with damsels in distress. Just fulfilling my obligation as a prince."

"Thank you for saving me then, your highness."

"Please," the prince said, touching her wrist, "call me Nathaniel. It's far too formal with the title."

"Alright, Nathaniel. Does this mean we're friends now?"

"Oh, yes. The best of friends." Nathaniel laughed, sliding his hands into the pockets of his pastel green coat.

"I've never had a best friend before."

"Neither have I."

"What makes a 'best friend' so special?" Lora giggled as she fiddled with the fluttery sleeve of her dress.

"I believe it's someone you confide in. You don't lie to them. You trust them more than anyone." Nathaniel's voice grew sterner, more serious. Lora couldn't help but feel her heart sink slightly.

"Do you trust me more than anymore?" She asked, searching his hazel eyes. "We've only known each other for two days."

She was lying to him. He'd hate her if he found out that she wasn't spinning the gold. Lora hated herself. She hated herself for hurting Nathaniel. She hated Nathaniel for trusting her.

"They've been the most wonderful two days of my entire life," Nathaniel whispered. He leaned in slightly so only she could hear his proclamation.

Heat rose to her cheeks and Lora bit her lip. "I must agree, Nathaniel."

They stood there in the gardens surrounded by the beautifully dressed women, but it seemed as if it was only them. Only they mattered at that moment.

"Lora," Nathaniel said, taking another step closer to her so they could now hear each other's breaths. "Have I mentioned how lovely you look today?"

Lora's breath hitched at the back of her throat. She opened her mouth before closing her lips and pressing them together. All she could do was smile. She loved how he made her smile so easily.

"Nathaniel," shouted a booming voice from across the garden.

"Father," Nathaniel sighed, casting a look at Lora before turning to the king.

Lora avoided the king for most of the ball last night but knew she was bound to run into him today at some point. Now, the king of Farraige strode over towards her.

"Son, you ought to leave Miss Caspar alone. She should rest before her work tonight."

The second night of spinning straw into gold. Lora could only hope Stiles would be back tonight. Her life would be on the line. Lora turned away from the father and son, hoping to somehow disappear into the crowd.

"Isn't that correct Miss Caspar?" The king called after her.

Lora silently cursed before spinning around to meet the king's cold eyes. "Whatever you think is best, your majesty." He somehow knew how to cut her down with a single glance. Was it his title? The way his eyes showed no emotion? She couldn't put her finger on it. But she knew one thing for sure: Lora hated the king with every ounce of her being.

"Well, then I see if you should return to your suite. I fear your room tonight will not be as comforting." The king said straightening his back. Nathaniel slightly shrank beside him, releasing a quiet groan.

Lora smiled and nodded. She swiftly closed her parasol and walked off like a child being sent to their room as a punishment. Perhaps the king was punishing her for speaking too freely to his son. Lora dropped the smile once she was behind the king and Nathaniel widened his stance so they brushed against one another.

Their pinkies met. It was only an instance. Merely a graze. But it sent electricity running through her veins. She wanted nothing more than for Nathaniel to push his father aside and lift her into his arms. Just as he had held her last night.

But she knew that could never be. For he was a prince and she was only a baker's daughter.

Thank you for reading! Sorry for the shorter chapter, but the next one will be longer since it's focusing on Lora's second night of spinning gold.  

xoxo Canary