Chapter 4

Finally, the earth stopped trembling, and I lifted Shelly from the floor. "It hurts, Carl" she told me. "Let's go to the bathroom, I will put a creme on it" I replied. We started going to the bathroom, but everything was a disaster! I couldn't find the creme anymore, and the mirror was broken, with all the pieces of glass on the floor, so, it was dangerous to pass. "Wait here" I said to Shelly. Her eyes looked at me, but it looked like if she was staring at nothing. "Yes" she told me with a squeaky voice. I walked slowly and carefully inside the bathroom, and I started looking around. I finally found it and I returned to Shelly. I let her sit on the half broken couch, and put the creme on her back. Mark ran to us and hugged me tight, and started crying. "I'm so scared it will happen again!" He cried. "And what about mom and dad?" True! I forgot about mother and father! I asked myself if they were okay, and I was very worried. I wanted to go outside and look for them right now. What will happen if it restarts? Should I bring Shelly and Mark with me? It would be dangerous. And what if I leave them here and the earthquake restarts? All of these thoughts made me make the decision that it would be better to stay inside. We had anything to do, and we were all very worried, especially me, that also had to take care of Shelly and Mark. I was about to sit on the couch, when I heard the door slam. My head practically turned itself alone, very quickly. I couldn't believe at what I saw in front of the door! "Mommy!" Mark yelled, as he ran to her. "Is any of you hurt?" Mother said with a worried tone. "No, mom, only Shelly had bumped her back, and her hand..." I told her. Mother ran to the couch where Shelly was lying on, and quickly looked at her back. "There's nothing bad, are you okay, does it hurt?" She asked Shelly. "Yes, but it itches." Shelly replied. "Did you put creme on it?" Mother asked me. "Yes, why?" I asked. "Show me which one you put on" I showed her the tube of the creme. "You put the wrong one! That one is made to make pimples go away!" She screamed. "Oh, well... Is it so bad?" Mother nodded. "That's why it inches, Carl" "I'm so sorry Shelly" I told her "I'm not a doctor like mother. What is bad about it?" I asked. "Shelly will have spots on her back, and it will inch, so, if the earthquake happens again, she won't be able to run well." Mark hugged tight mother. "Time to go to bed!" Mother shouted. Mark had a strange expression "your face tells me that it's obvious that you won't go to bed an any time, and for no reason, right?" Mother told Mark. "Well... Yes" Mark replied shyly. "When is father going to come?" I asked. "I have no idea" mother said to me with fear and sadness in her tone. "Now, all to bed!" "Okay" I was scared to go to bed too, but I didn't want to show it. I went in my room, and tried to put myself under the blanket. I noticed my hand was trembling, but I tried not to worry about it. For the very first time, I begged that Mark would sleep in my room, and normally, I hate it. But today, Mark slept with mother. Shelly, instead slept in her room. I was thinking that none of us in all of the family didn't know how to react when there was an earthquake, and that was one of the reasons for why I was worried.