nine

— ° —

— ° —

AFTER A FEW minutes of tense driving, Five stopped in front of a five-story apartment building.

"What's this place?" Minerva asked, following Five out of the car to stand in front of the building.

He glanced over his shoulder at her with a half-grin. "You ask a lot of questions."

"I wouldn't have to if you didn't insist on this 'ooo look at me so mysterious and incredibly secretive'," she mocked his voice.

Five rolled his eyes, but his grin widened and he answered. "This is Vanya's apartment."

"How the hell did you figure that out?" She gave him a flabbergasted look.

"I have my ways," he shrugged, looking up with that infuriating grin still present. "Y'know with how mysterious I am."

"You're annoying."

"Nah, just incredibly secretive."

"You little —!" Minerva punched his (uninjured) arm. He shouted and dodged her second punch easily.

"Hey!" He laughed, rubbing the spot. He'd forgotten how much she packed a punch.

Minerva half-heartedly glared at him and then followed his line of sight to a dark window on the second floor.

"The lights aren't on, should we wait in the car? Call her?" She offered solutions. She didn't have a phone and didn't know how to use a modern one that she'd seen Allison on a few times, so she hoped Five and his knowledge of this decade would come in handy.

Five hummed and glanced toward the way they'd come.

"We can't risk staying out in the open," he said, serious once more. "Do you see that piping? Climb it and get to her window. I'm gonna put the car somewhere else."

Minerva stared at him. "You want me to break into Vanya's apartment?"

Five gave her an odd look like he'd give to Klaus when he said something stupid. "Yeah. It shouldn't be hard, you've always been good at climbing. You remember how to pick a lock right?"

She let out a long sigh, running a hand down her face. She'd dealt with too much tonight and breaking into her sister's apartment seemed to be the icing on the cake. "I feel like you're asking the wrong questions, but...oh to hell with it."