⿻ s.universe ⇢ a budding relationship

prompt: after graduating high school, you decided to take a trip to delmarva to visit a friend from camp

prompt: after graduating high school, you decided to take a trip to delmarva to visit a friend from camp. and to see if the tales she told you of other-worldly beings seeking refuge in beach city were true.

warnings: [fem]reader, [she/her] pronouns

notes: [n/a]

edited: 7/08
words: 1162

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

𖤐 the first time you had the pleasure meeting steven was the results of your senior trip to delmarva. beach city to be more specific.

𖤐 you've heard nothing but tall tales of the city from your friend connie, who you met two summer's ago at science camp.

𖤐 time and time again, she tells you the stories of gem-like beings that roam inside the city who she expressed her gratitude to for saving the earth from total damnation on multiple counts.

𖤐 obviously you thought she was fibbing, because who in the right mind would believe something like that coming from a 15-year old girl?

𖤐 it's not like you don't trust connie's words, but trust me, if it were anything else you would have believed it on the spot!

𖤐 that's when she asked you to take a trip to beach city to see it for yourself

𖤐 "it's perfect, don't you think?! you'll have your destination for your senior trip, and i'll get to say 'i told you so!'"

𖤐 she wasn't wrong. despite your belief of her stories coming from her wild imagination, you were still curious about beach city. plus, you haven't seen connie in such a long while, it's a win-win situation!

𖤐 so the week after your graduation, you packed your things into your car, and set off from your hometown to delmarva.

𖤐 you were a bit nervous to be on the road by yourself, especially when the trip was a lengthy one, but you found your comfort in your tunes and the occasional calls from connie to keep you company.

𖤐 "you sure it'll be okay for me to stay at your place? i mean, i know your mom is strict on strangers-"

𖤐 "oh, come on, she did not have that long conversation with you and your mom for no reason! she's impressed by you! plus, she has a weak spot for young women in stem"

𖤐 after multiple rest stops (and an embarrassing amount of wrong turns), you finally arrived at the maheswaran's residency

𖤐 your heart leapt out of your chest just as fast as connie leapt into your arms, happily greeting you as her parents watched from their doorstep

𖤐 to say you were ecstatic to see connie again was an understatement, the grin stretching across your face hurting your cheeks as you returned the gesture with a tight squeeze

𖤐 "oh, man, look at you! how'd you grow even taller?!" connie expressed in disdain, having to tilt her head a little to make proper eye contact.

𖤐 "you're just short." you snorted, making a mess of her hair as she pulled you to meet her parents properly

𖤐 your first night was filled with nonstop chatter and laughter, the loud ruckus coming from the young maheswaran's room

𖤐 "the first thing on tomorrow's agenda is to introduce you to the crystal gems! Oh, I can't wait for you to meet steven!"

𖤐 your brow quirked up teasingly at the mention of the boys name, a taunting grin pulling at the corners of your lips. "who's steven?" you asked, nudging her

𖤐 "i know what you're thinking." she rolled her eyes, swatting away your prodding limb "steven is my best friend!"

𖤐 you scoffed playfully, crossing your arms in mock betrayal. connie rolled her eyes, laughter vibrating in her chest. "one of my best friends, who happens to be my ticket to proving you wrong!"

𖤐 apparently steven was a gem hybrid. half human, half gem. connie said his mother was a rebel from outer space, giving up her status to protect the earth she grown to love.

𖤐 oh, man. connie is going to have a field day once she realizes the tale of unlikely gems joining together to defend earth moved you to the core; enough to finally believe that beach city was a home to more than just humans.

𖤐 best believe you lied awake thinking back to the stories she told you awhile back, your mind racing with the possibilities of other-worldly existences amongst the stars.

𖤐 but the day finally came to take a trip to beach city. you thought you heart was going to implode when you arrived in delmarva? well, imagine your bpm when you saw the gems relaxing throughout the city.

𖤐 you didn't even have to hear connie say it straight out, you didn't even have to look at her to know she had the 'i-told-you-so-look'

𖤐 "i bet you feel so dumb right now-"

𖤐 "connie!"

𖤐 not too far off was a boy with dark brown curls, a big smile on his face as he approached the two of you. when his eyes landed on you, it only seemed to get bigger, quickening his pace to finally meet you.

𖤐 steven had the pleasure to hear all about you from connie. how you met, how smart and cool you were; he even got to see the many pictures you took together! he was definitely excited to meet you.

𖤐 "y/n, this is steven! steven, this is my friend i was telling you all about!" connie exclaimed, hugging your arm close to her. your face grew warm at her claim, awkwardly offering him a smile.

𖤐 "i would say that connie's exaggerating, but she really does talk a lot about you." steven laughed, stuffing his hands into his jacket's pockets

𖤐 "I hope it wasn't anything embarrassing, or else she would find herself walking home." you teased, looking away at the sound of his laughter, cursing yourself on how easily swooned your were

𖤐 oh, steven was a goner. when he first saw the pictures connie showed him of you, he admitted to himself you were pretty. from then on out, he began to piece things together; wondering what you would sound like, how'd you act around him, if you would like him.

𖤐 nothing prepared him for the real thing, or how he naturally reacted to the sound of your voice, how easily you got along with connie. he was certainly in for a ride.

𖤐 connie quietly watched, her eyes shining with excitement as you two hit it off; just like she predicted. sooner or later, with some nudging and encouragement, maybe you two would be more than just friends.

𖤐 two of best friends? together? who would have thought! She did. She totally did. and with her on the watch, it's going to happen.

originally published on 07/08