𝟬𝟬𝟯

...

🌷

———

———

chapter three

Next thing you knew, Dorothea was rushing out of her bedroom in her bikini. She had grabbed a random towel from the bathroom she shared with Belly and the boys. When she went to leave out the back door she saw her mom sitting in one of the chairs in the living room.

"Night swim?"

"Yeah, night swim," Dorothea rushed out before Laurel looked up and saw that Belly wasn't with her.

"No Belly tonight?" she asked confused as to why it was only Dorothea going for the first night swim of the summer. It was tradition that the two sisters went to swim at night together.

"Uh, no, she's just getting ready then she'll meet me out there," Dorothea went to leave but her mom stopped her once again making Dorothea sigh.

"Mm, okay sweetie. Hey, wait, um how many followers is a lot of followers on Instagram?"

Dorothea chuckled knowing that her mom basically didn't know anything about social media and went to grab her moms phone to see.

"One hundred fifty thousand followers is a lot, especially for a writer. Belly told me that Taylor's dad was reading this guy's book. Why do you want to know though?"

"No reason, thanks," Laurel sheepishly smiled and grabbed her phone back from Dorothea as she just laughed and continued her way back out to the backyard.

As she walked out quietly her eyes fell upon Conrad who was still sitting at the edge of the pool smoking a joint still. They met and all she could do was slightly stare. She remembers when he used to say how smoking pot used to mess up the way your brain would process information, she chuckled to herself thinking about it.

"What are you laughing at?" he asked and took another drag of the joint while still looking at her.

"Nothing, just thinking about how you used to say that smoking pot would like, messes up the way your brain would process information and shit. Kind of ironic now," Dorothea said and went to get in the pool. Dorothea dived into the pool and resurfaced a minute later.

"Well, people's perspectives change Dorothy. Including people," Conrad said, still not taking his eyes off of her.

"Yeah, I know. I'm not here to tell you not to smoke pot. I can care less Connie," she said and swam up to him while resting her arms on the top of his thighs, her chin resting on her arms.

Dorothea grabbed the joint from in between his fingers and brought it up to her lips, inhaling for a few seconds and exhaling soon after. She blew the smoke to the side, careful to not blow it into his face even though he's probably used to it. She didn't want to be disrespectful. She handed the joint back to him and looked up at him.