Chapter Twenty-Two

"Bloodthirsty fucking shit."

I scramble to undo my seatbelts in case we need to run. Alessia follows my movements while Ashen just stares at the creature with wide black eyes.

"Keep driving!" I shout. "Do NOT stop." The driver barely nods.

I open the bag near my feet and remove two daggers, one for me and one for Ashen. Alessia looks at me expectantly but I shake my head and point at her hands with my chin.

"You're not good enough with a blade Ellie and you know that. Use your powers instead." I tell her. She nods reluctantly, wanting to have more options.

But I only have three daggers and I have to give the other one to Coach Snowlind.
The car rumbles and shakes, and the roof is bending with the weight of the creature. It won't hold for long.

"I have a plan." I voice out what everyone's hoping to hear.

Four sets of hopeful eyes bore into mine. But I'm looking at Ashen. "I need you to do something you won't like for this to work."

"Great." She huffs. "This is my punishment for choosing to sit with you, isn't it?"

I ignore her words and get to work with my plan.

"Are you ready?" I whisper a few minutes later, the roof almost have been torn to shreds. The claws of this creature seems to have no trouble tearing through metal.

"Don't ask me if I'm ready when I have no choice but to be." Ashen snaps.

A moment of silence.

"I was asking Alessia."

Her cheeks turn red with embarassment, the only tint of colour on her face. She stays quiet, swallowing whatever stupid retort her tongue had held.

Alessia merely nods at me. That's the only signal I need. The car comes to a stop.

Ashen slams the door open and runs out of the car. I close the door the second she leaves. I feel so bad for making her the bait. But that's the only way this plan will work.

The creature runs at her, tailing her everywhere she runs. The door opens behind me and I smile at the expected sound. I rush out of the vehicle as soon as Ashen enters the car, luring the creature with her. They're both trapped in there. A flash of light blinds the creature and she quickly jumps into the front seat, closing the clear slide that separates her from the backseat. From the creature. I climb over the car and stand on side of the roof that can hold my weight. It shrieks and claws at the slide, at the barrier, but she blinds it again. 

That's my signal. I pull half the roof off the vehicle, it took no effort since it was already half torn by the creature itself. I'm so happy for Instructor Jazken's training.

Aim for the heart or the head.

I jam my long sword into it's skull and it screams in pain. I enjoy listening to it suffering. I twist the sword in an angle. With a soft crack of bones, I kill the creature by splitting it's skull apart. 

Everyone sighs in relief collectively. The car that left the palace after ours, reaches at a stop behind our vehicle.

"I was going to be so pissed if this plan of yours got me killed." Ashen hisses.

I smile. I have finally killed my first monster and I will not stop until all are dead. Including the prince.

I jump down the vehicle, ignoring all the stares from the people who stepped out of the vehicle behind us.
But then suddenly, I feel it again. The stare that just felt wrong. I look around the forest, at the bushes, half expecting another monster to lunge at us. My eyes land on blue ocean eyes.