Epilogue

Seven years later

Laughing at a riddle Teddy had shared, Vernon reached for his tea and took a sip. An afternoon spent in the company of someone under the age of twenty was truly a treat, he mused. Now that Samantha, her husband, and children had moved abroad, Vernon and Loraine only saw them during Christmas these days. As for Dudley, he was quite busy making a name for himself as an investment banker and not at all focused on finding a wife, let alone having a child. Despite this, Vernon was proud of him. When Dudley did start looking for a wife, Vernon knew he'd have no trouble giving her and their child the best.

Casting a pensive glance to his nephew, Vernon thought about how terribly kind it was of Harry to invite him over for Sunday tea with him and his godson. Vernon knew Harry was very busy getting ready for the birth of his first child and for the last month or so, he hadn't felt right pestering Harry for a visit. With or without Teddy there.

When the chuckles from Teddy's riddle died away, Vernon snapped his fingers upon remembering a joke he heard. With a grin, Vernon said, "I have good one! It's perfect for a little wizard like yourself, Teddy!"

Hair going through a dizzying array of colors, the boy leaned in close and asked, "What is it?"

Smirking, Vernon said, "Knock knock."

"Who's there?"

"Who."

"Who Who?" Teddy asked, leaning forward in anticipation of the punchline.

"Who Who? Are you an owl?"

Little hands flying to his mouth, Teddy gave a giggle-snort and kicked his feet in glee. Smiling, Vernon thought back with fondness to the days where he could make Dudley and Harry laugh with a simple Knock Knock Joke. It was a long, long time ago now, but Vernon still recalled the way Harry's skinny shoulders used to shake with his silent giggles as Dudley guffawed beside him, loud and unashamed.

Looking once more to his nephew beside Teddy, Vernon realized that while Harry's shoulders might not shake anymore, his eyes still twinkled with quiet mirth. He probably didn't find the joke all that funny, but Teddy's enjoyment was contagious. Just as all young children's happiness was.

Pushing his mug toward Harry suddenly, Teddy asked, "Can I have more tea, Harry?"

"More tea what, Teddy?" Harry prompted, hands seated firmly on his knees, waiting for the right answer.

The boy puffed out his cheeks in annoyance, but nonetheless said, "Please can I have more tea?"

Harry, beaming, nodded. Picking up the white porcelain teapot, he gave a little sigh. "It seems we are out of tea," he said. "I'll be back in a moment with more." Then, wagging a half-joking, half-serious finger in his Godson's face, he told Teddy, "Be good."

Watching his nephew leave the room, Vernon looked back to the boy upon his nephew disappearing from the doorway. He was startled when he saw that the boy's vibrant blue hair had dulled to gray.

"Ah, what's wrong?" he asked, wondering what had brought on Teddy's sudden personification of melancholy.

Worrying his lip, Teddy didn't say immediately, just glanced backwards, as if afraid someone (Harry, most likely) would be there watching. Finally, he said, "The baby's gonna be born really soon."

"Yes, the baby is," Vernon replied. "That's why Ginny and your Grandma Molly went shopping today."

Little chin tucked into his chest, Teddy whispered, "I'm scared Harry and Ginny won't want to see me anymore when they have a baby that's theirs."

"Oh, Teddy, they'll want you still," Vernon assured the boy. "They love you."

Looking up sharply, Teddy asked, "Will they love me as much as the baby?"

Vernon felt his face heat up. This was going down a familiar path and he was afraid. What if he said the wrong thing? He had a history of doing that. "…Teddy, you know Harry's not my son, right?"

"Yes."

Nodding, Vernon asked, "And you know I love him just as much as I love Dudley?"

"Uh-huh."

"So, don't you think Harry will love you just as much as his baby? If I can love him and Dudley the same, he should be able to love you two the same, right?" Vernon said, hoping his gentle persuasion would work.

Teddy's hair lost its gray hue. "I – I didn't think of that," he admitted.

Vernon reached over to give the boy's knee a squeeze. "That's okay, it's hard to remember things when you're worried."

Smiling a little, Teddy said, "Thank you, Uncle Vernon."

"It's no trouble."

"What's no trouble?" Harry asked, walking in with a new pot of tea and a plate of what Vernon believed were something called "Pumpkin Pasties".

Sitting up straight, Vernon flashed his nephew a smile. "Tying his shoelace, it came undone," he lied.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "But you learned to tie them last year, didn't you, Ted?"

Playing along, Teddy pouted. "But it kept coming undone and undone. Uncle Vernon tied it extra tight for me so it won't happen again!"

"I see," Harry replied, amused. Putting down the tray with the tea and pastries, Harry said, "I don't think Ginny and Molly will be back in time for lunch, so I thought we could snack on some pasties in the meantime…"

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

As he pulled on his jacket in preparation for walking out into the wet evening, Vernon turned away from his nephew's coat closet to tell Harry, "Earlier, Teddy told me he was worried you wouldn't love him as much as you'll love your baby."

The young man gave Vernon a sharp look. "Of course I will love them the same," he said.

Vernon nodded. "I know, I know," he soothed. "But you might want to reassure him. It wouldn't do for him to think, well, you know," he said, gesturing to Harry.

"Think he's second best?" Harry replied, tone edging on bitter.

Vernon winced, but dipped his chin in agreement. "Yes," he answered.

"I'll make sure he doesn't," Harry promised. Then, stepping forward, Harry wrapped his arms around Vernon. "Thanks, Uncle Vernon, for letting me know," he mumbled into his shoulder.

Patting the young man's back, Vernon said, "You're welcome. I'd be a poor father if I let you make the same mistakes as I did."

Pulling back, Harry promised, "I'll see you next week for Dudley's birthday, okay?"

Vernon nodded, smiling, before he walked out Harry's front door and toward his car. Looking to the gray-blue evening sky, Vernon thought, 'That didn't go too badly. Perhaps in another seven years he won't sound bitter when we talk about his childhood anymore…'

And that's that for this story! How did you like this scene?