Lenny's story: Forest

♦ We headed to the lab. I was quite curious what we were going to do today, if it was going to be some boring theory again or if we were finally going to mix some potion.

We sat down in our seats in the classroom. I am sitting next to my sister Kamila, but at that moment I noticed that she isn't with us, she isn't in the class. That was weird. I should probably go check on her, huh? I got up from my chair and marched to the door. As I took its handle, the bell rang. The teacher entered the classroom through the second door, which I guessed led to the cabinet. He saw me at the door. "Go sit down, young man." he said.

"But..." I protested, but he wouldn't listen. I had to go back to the desk. The teacher turned his wrist, a faint light appeared and it then turned into our class book. He opened it. He took a pen and started writing us down. Thank all the stars that T is all the way to the end, Kamila can still make it. She'll probably have a late arrival documented there, but she'll hopefully survive that.

Suddenly, the classroom door opened and Kamila burst into the classroom. And even early too, the teacher only got to C. She was saying something about having to go to the toilet, but the teacher quickly sent her to sit down. She was out of breath as she sat down next to me; I could hear her breathing deeply. "Did she run a marathon?" I thought to myself.

We finally did something fun this class, making a rainbow potion. It was terribly simple, but it was enough for us to start with, the teacher claimed. He told us to keep stirring our potion. I stirred and stirred, but Kamila hardly moved the spoon in the cauldron. It was more like she was just tickling the potion. It started bubbling. "Kamila..." I tried to warn her, but it was too late. The potion exploded in her face, turning her entire face and bangs into rainbow. It was funny, but also pretty weird.

♦ So after the class I went to Kamila to find out what the was going on. I asked her if she was okay while trying to keep a straight face. But it didn't work, I laughed. She looked like she had been thrown up on by a clown who had eaten a rainbow before! Kamila yelled at me to stop laughing. Then mom came. She asked Kamila if she was okay and then sent her to the shower. "You really think she's fine mom?" I asked when Kamila left. She replied that she didn't, but that they should talk about it after she showered. "And I have something to take care of anyway." she added.

"And what?" I asked. Mom scowled at me: "It's none of your business, Lenny. This is an adult matter. For now, go do something before lunch." She turned and left. Why was she so angry? Weird. Everything is kinda weird today.

♦ On the way to the room, I thought with my hands folded in my pockets. I thought about everything that had happened since alchemy. "Lenny!" I shuddered. I looked at Diana next to me; I completely forgot she was here too. She turned her face away from me uncertainly. "What's up?" I asked. Diana mumbled something that I didn't understand at all. "Speak up." Diana took a breath and said, a little louder this time: "I said, 'sorry for yelling', but I wanted to ask if you wanted to go with me to the forest here by the school. You know, there's a great variety of interesting plants growing there."

"Doesn't there also live a great number of dangerous creatures?" I asked.

"No, don't worry. And the forest is accessible to students. It is written on the school's website and on the board in the entrance hall."

"And why do you want me to go with you?"

"I thought it would be a nice walk. I wanted to ask Rika, but she has homework and then she said she wanted to draw."

"Okay, well, I'll go with you." I finally answered. Diana jumped for joy.

♦ We went to the forest right away, we thought we still had some time before lunch. It was almost empty outside in front of the castle, all the students were inside. No wonder, the wind was pretty cold. Diana and I put on our warmest jackets. A large forest grew right next to the castle. It seemed to be pretty deep too. I stepped towards it, but Diana hesitated. "Lenny, maybe it wasn't the best idea."