Erika's story: Christmas gift

(Every time someone thinks something, speaks a foreign language or reads, it is written in italics)

"In the beginning there was nothing but emptiness. Then suddenly came the big bang and with it life. It took many more years, but eventually the first man was born. But it wasn't until ancient times that people began to notice strange forces. Strange animals. They looked like any animals but they were blue and transparent. They were spirits with magical abilities. Once people found out, they started catching and using those spirits. They forced them to bond with them. But it was very bad for people, because even though the spirits entered their bodies, they did not want to work with them, their powers were uncontrollable and the spirits caused pain to people. So they had no choice but to release the spirits from their bodies. And so the humans and spirits lived separately for several more years. One spirit who was also enslaved decided to take revenge on humans, so it went to Athens in ancient Greece where it all began. The spirit capable of controlling the earth as well as stones and metals, used its power to possess statues throughout the city. Buildings were destroyed and people ran away from the city to save their lives. The spirits learned about what was happening in Athens. But their hatred of humans was so great that they just watched the catastrophe and did not try to help humans. Well, most of them. The spirits of music and dance and the spirits of science set out to help people. They themselves were not exactly popular among spirits, as their powers, music, dance and science, were connected with humans. They chose people, especially soldiers, who were not afraid to stand up to obsessed statues with only swords. They voluntarily bonded with them and gave them the strength and power to fight. They fought bravely, had enough power to break the spell and put the statues back in place. The spirits decided to stay in bond with the soldiers because they felt better with them than they did with the other spirits. The bond with the spirits also had an effect on the soldiers. They noticed that their bones became stronger and harder to break, and they recovered faster. They also gained the ability to fly and understand the language of spirits. When other spirits noticed how well the bond between spirits and humans worked, they also began to bond with them. Soon magicians came to the world. Magic got into their genes, and so magical parents gave birth to magical kids and various genetic mutations occurred, such as the birth of shape-shifting changelings or hybrid syndrome. Both mutations were also hereditary. The magicians prospered, their population grew, they discovered the magical world, established schools for young magicians, and some even decided to stay in the magical world. They found that the presence of spirits left a magical aura on Earth, and so every place on Earth had its magical form, where legends and mythology became reality. Everything was great, except for one thing. Humans who didn't have magic were afraid of magicians. The burning of the witches began. The magicians had to flee to the magical world, but some did not want to leave, so they remained on Earth, either dead or alive. The magicians had to adapt to the new world. They were helped by those who had lived there for a long time. They showed them how to grow magical crops and raise animals. There was one animal, which resembled a dog but had the ability to change its size and transform into one mythological creature. It became very popular among magicians. This creature was called sharpa. Cities began to grow with populations and various kingdoms, empires and priesthoods were established. The magicians soon got back on their feet. And this was the beginning of a magical civilization, Avalon, as we know it today."

"I don't get it. How could they get back on their feet? Couldn't they walk before?" I was thinking. I lay on the bed reading a book on the history of magic. My thinking interrupted the opening of the front door. Dad came back from work. There was a moment of silence; Dad probably took off his coat and his shoes. Then I heard my mom calling, "David, Erika, come to the living room!" I jumped out of bed, didn't even put on my shoes, and tiptoed into the living room (but I had socks on so dad and mom wouldn't be angry). I didn't want to surprise anyone; I just like to walk around the house barefoot.