chapter one

Men

Men.
No, more like boys. Most of them hadn't even had their balls dropped to even be called a man. Boys constantly brag about who they had sex with and the most recent babe that went to their party or bickered on who was the best athlete on the sports teams. Forty-nine percent of this school was filled with the biggest assholes in the world. Of the population of 3.97 billion males in the world, none had ever paid attention to me. Not a single one. I had never been asked out on a date or to a school dance. I was the one that would stay in every Friday night instead of going to the football games. I would be the one that had her nose deep into a book during recess as a kid in elementary school. I was the kid in class who always raised their hand when a question was being asked and the groans from everyone's mouths after I was called on were louder than the whispers about how I dressed. I was the one that one all the academic awards but never gloated about my achievements. Most of the time my parents had no idea how good of a student I was. They mainly focused on my older brother and his sports achievements making me feel inferior to him and his life. To say I was neglected was a long shot but I didn't have the same support a girl my age should have had from their parents.

I am as innocent as innocent can be. I have never smoked, vaped, drank, gone to parties, or had sex. Yeah, an 18-year-old virgin at one of the biggest party schools in the country with an STD percentage through the roof. But I didn't want just the sex or the partying. I wanted to find love just like my five-year-old self wanted me to fall in love with a Disney princess that would buy me a castle and pay for expensive beautiful dresses. I wanted to find myself at college and find lifelong friends.

For as long as I could remember I have dreamt of the thought about going to the University of Michigan even though I did apply to a multitude of different colleges. When I got accepted to the University of Michigan in the summer before my senior year of high school, it was a shock to not just me but my entire family. It's not like I didn't have the grades for it, I was top five percent of my class with a lot of community service under my belt but I guess I didn't know I could be as successful as many of the students at the University of Michigan were. For years everyone had thought I would have stayed as close to home as possible but ten hours wasn't a very long drive at all. As the summer began and quickly ended, I packed my bags and left everyone and everything in my old life behind. I was greeted with the large yellow letter "University of Michigan" along with the beautiful buildings and landscape. I had no idea who my roommate was or where she was from, it was picked and matched with a random stranger who could have easily killed me in my sleep and no one would have ever noticed. But I got an Avery. Avery Miller. One of the most beautiful human beings on this planet. Blonde and sun-kissed skin. She was my blonde to my brunette.

We bonded over ice cream dates and she taught me how to not be such an introvert and how to have fun. She had a lot more life experience if you know what I mean. Throughout that year I would wipe her tears away when an ugly frat boy would break her heart and she would yell at me every morning to wake up so I wasn't late for my early morning classes.