chapter three

As the buzzer of the end of the third period blasted, the boards were being slammed into by the hockey team

As the buzzer of the end of the third period blasted, the boards were being slammed into by the hockey team. All you could hear is cheers and hands being slapped onto the tempered glass causing mayhem within the crowd as everyone pushed one another close, smashing the bodies of the front row.

"Come with me, I want you guys to meet someone," Clarke said, grabbing our hands and pulling us with her. Her legs were short but she could cover a lot of ground as she always walked fast.

"Clarkey," I heard as the door opened to reveal a blonde-haired boy, running up and giving her a hug. His hair was blonde and held a slight curl to it. He had small lips that showed a toothy smile and pale skin but not like winter pale, like my tan is at the last step on his skin. His eyes were piercingly blue, like the ocean. He looked as if he could laugh at every joke in the book. He stood a little shorter than Lucas, kinda skinny too. He was cute but definitely not my type.

"Guys, this is Everett. We have been friends since we were little. Our moms were college best friends, and this pricky decided to move away five years ago without any warning." She explained as she smacked his stomach hard, making him hunch down in pain. His hand came up behind her head, pulling her hair a little as he laughed. "Stop it," She said as she kicked him in the leg. "Hey, coach isn't going to be very happy that I got injured right after a game, especially from a girl." What an asshole degrading woman like that, can we ever not get harassed because we are women?

I didn't really pay attention after that as my mind was stressing about a long research essay that was due in two days. I still needed to come up with a topic and thesis. Throughout my Iife I never had procrastinated assignments in college but recently my mental health was starting to go downhill again. Being around everyone all day was fun but it was exhausting, I needed time to myself and living with three other people made that nearly impossible. I thought too much and critiqued my life and body every second of the day. I didn't feel like getting up in the mornings or sleeping at night. I would brush it off as a stomach bug every so often to the point where all of them wanted me to go to a stomach specialist.

But as I turned back to my friends, I caught a glimpse of the door opening and shutting quickly, a body escaping the door frame. His head was down as he walked to the exit with his phone held up to his ear. "Maman, j'ai vu une fille. Elle était jolie, les cheveux longs et un beau sourire. Elle ne m'a pourtant pas remarqué. Je l'admire de loin." I heard him say in a language I knew as French, the language of love. I could put a face to the name now. I could put a name to the most beautiful faces I had ever seen. I noticed Nolan Dubois but he would never notice me. I was me and he was him. He was the new University of Michigan's 'it' boy and I was a quiet girl that loved to read romance novels in my spare time with a glass of Rosé in the bath full of bubbles on a Thursday night instead of going out to bars for Thirsty Thursday. His long hair covered his phone but let his veiny left hand peek out from under the flow. He was tall and built, not the type of built like a linebacker would be but as a hockey player should be. His head turned my way, his eyes landing on mine for a moment before turning away and walking out the door.