I PULL ∆ THESEUS ∆ND B∆TTLE THE MINOT∆UR

We tore through the night along dark country roads

We tore through the night along dark country roads. Winds slamming against the Camaro. Rain lashed the windshield. I didn't know how my maman could see anything, the windshield was all fogged up and the rain was coming down in a solid sheet, but she kept her foot on the gas.

Every time there was a flash of lightning, I looked over at Grover sitting next to me in the backseat and I wondered if this was the last time he'd ever see me alive, or if this was all some sort of sick twisted nightmare that Morpheus was forcing on me.

But I knew it couldn't be the second one. Because the smell invading the car at this very moment was very real and it was one I remembered from kindergarten field trips to the petting zoo and the trips we used to take to various barns and the like for my equestrian practices and competitions - lanolin, like from wool. The smell of a wet barnyard animal.

All I could think to say was, "So, you and my maman... have met before?"

Sue me - actually please don't, I'm broke - I was curious because as far as I knew, I'd never brought Grover home to meet my maman. Grover's eyes flitted to the rearview mirror and though there were no cars behind us, I knew whatever monster was after me couldn't be far behind. I clipped the straps of my duffle bag securely across my chest. It was the only one I had and it was a gift from mama Amphi, I couldn't afford to lose it.

"Not exactly," he said. "I mean, we've never met in person but she knew I was watching you."

"Way to sound like a creepy stalker Hercum..." I mumbled.

"Keeping tabs on you. Making sure you were okay but I wasn't faking being your friend," he added hastily, trying to explain himself. "I am your friend."

"I know Grover," I said. "Don't worry."

And just because I'm a menace to society I asked, "So... what are you, exactly?" I wanted to see him squirm a bit, okay? He was basically lying to and gaslighting me for almost a year now.

"That doesn't matter right now."

"It doesn't matter? From the waist down, my best friend is a furry-"

Grover let out a sharp, throaty "Blaa-ha-ha!"

I heard him make that sound before, but I'd always assumed it was some weird nervous laugh. Now that I knew he was a satyr I realized it was more of an irritated bleat. Cute.

"I'm not a furry!" he cried.

"What? Of course, you are!"