14. The Product Of Anticipation

Word count: 1905

____________________________

As the youthful sun shon through the large stained glass window, casting vibrant rays of red and blue over the slumbering third years, the distinct sound of chattering students caused Harry to wake with a start. He sat up on instinct, only to instantly regret it when a shooting pain ebbed throughout his midriff, and a strangled gasp clawed from his throat.

"Harry? Are you alright?" A feminine voice called, and with utter dismay, Harry placed it as Hermione's voice. Shoving Malfoy as hard as he could, he yelled back to her, "Yea, I'm ok Hermione-"

"You don't sound it, mate.." Ron replied, a whole lot closer, now. Malfoy shot up at the sound of the red-heads voice, and, snatching up his wand, he used it shrink the bed (putting it into his pocket) he dove under Harry's bed just as the Gryffindors pushed Harry's curtains aside and strode in.

The group consisting of Hermione, Ron, Neville, Seamus and Dean chimed in with a series of; 'Hello Harry!'s and, 'how you doing, Harry?'s and, 'does it still hurt, Harry?'s. In which he answered, 'hey', 'good' and, 'not as much'. They all crowded around his bed, some sitting, some standing, as they told of the recent happenings since Harry's admittance into the hospital wing over half a week previous. "Anyway, Harry, we just wanted to come visit you to check on how you're doing. I can't believe Madam Pomfrey would leave you on your own! I mean- who supplies you with pain-relief potions? And changes your bandages?" She said, her voice steadily growing louder as she went on.

"Don't worry Hermione, I can do it." Harry responded, as if stating the obvious.

"Your meaning to tell me, Harry James Potter, that you have been caring fully for yourself for the past four days?" Hermione put her hands on her hips, her tone reminding Harry much of Mrs Weasley when scolding Ron.

"Really, I'm fine!"

"Nonsense! From now on I'm coming here everyday to change your bandages." she finished, bluntly.

"I already have someone to do that" he blurted out, feeling Malfoy nudge the mattress underneath him. She stopped abruptly, and blinked at him for a few seconds, "really? Who?" Harry faltered for a second before coming up with an answer that he hoped would be convincing enough for even Hermione, "A Hufflepuff prefect ..I don't know their name-"

Her eyes narrowed for a moment before she sighed and nodded, "Well, can you really blame me for worrying? I mean- look at you. Still bed-ridden after nearly a working week!" She shook her head, "Merlin, you'd probably be dead if it weren't for Malfoy cushioning your fall.."

"-yea, yea"

"You must be grateful, even if it is him"

"I am"

Harry felt the bed shake slightly as Malfoy poked the mattress smugly, causing Ron and Dean (who were sat on the end of the bed) to glance around in mild confusion.

"I mean.. you should really thank him"

"Yep"

"Maybe you could send an owl-"

"Mhm"

"-though for a life or death situation, you should probably do it in person.."