Chapter 4

Kinsley sent up a prayer of thanks when she found an old, abandoned barn far back on a dirt road, surrounded by trees for them to stay. Two hours earlier, she stopped at an old gas station and filled up Reed's gas tank. And now, pulling into the barn, he was still asleep. He must have had a rough couple of days.

And she felt the sugar crash from her gummy bears coming on. Any more driving and she might fall asleep.

"Reed." She nudged him.

His eyelids fluttered open, revealing shocking brown eyes. "Yeah?"

"I found a place for us. Take a look around."

He sat up. "Is it secluded?"

"Yeah, no one is around."

"Great. So, sleep in the barn or the car?"

"Barn. I am not sleeping within thirty feet of you." She eyed him, watching his response.

"Works for me. We can take shifts. You sleep first. I have a blanket in the back if you want it. That windbreaker isn't going to keep you warm."

Kinsley shivered even as he opened the car door. "That would be nice, thanks."

"Yep. And by sleeping in the barn, we can save gas and battery power."

"Good point." Kinsley grabbed her duffel bag and her gun. Reed grabbed the blanket, his coat, a backpack, and his gun.

After hiding the car in some trees, they made their way to the barn. Reed kicked the door open, "Anyone here?"

When no sound greeted them, they checked the place then confirmed it was clear. "There's a stall back here with some hay and a window that's actually intact." Kinsley pointed. Good thing she was used to sleeping wherever, whenever.

"You go ahead and sleep. I'll wait by the door." Reed handed her the blanket.

Kinsley set the blanket down then walked thirty steps from where she set it down to the door. "Okay good. Thirty feet. No closer."

Reed grinned. "Yes ma'am. Now go to sleep, you look exhausted."

Kinsley managed a smile. She set her duffel up as a pillow, moved some hay around for a mattress, then wrapped herself up in the blanket that smelled like lavender and fell asleep.

Kinsley drove down the road in one of the tanks, with her squad. Not going anywhere really, simply just traveling to another American base. So far, the three tanks driving down the rocky roads had hit no problems. Yet, her hands still held a firm grip on her rifle.

All of a sudden the radio started crackling.

"Get back!"

"Move, move!"

Kinsley peeked out the window. What was going on?

Then the ground exploded.

The tank in front of them burst into flames.

Then there was another explosion to her right.

And one to her left.

Then one right in front of their own tank.

Kinsley woke up with a start. She was in a cold sweat. Another stupid nightmare.

Reed was watching her, concern etched on his brow. "You okay? You cried out."

She was lucky it was dark and that he couldn't see her blush. "Yeah, just a nightmare. PTSD, you know?"