Chapter 17

Reed threw his body over Kinsley and landed on top of her. "You okay?" He whispered into her ear.

"No, my migraine is at the point of me passing out. It hurts, Reed."

Migraines weren't fun. Neither was being shot at. And Kinsley was experiencing both.

Reed saw a hand reach out and pull Kinsley from him. "Hey! Let go of her!"

Zaram yanked a fighting Kinsley toward himself. She landed a punch on his solar plexus then fell to the ground.

Zaram rubbed the spot where she had punched him and gave her a death glare. "You'll pay for that."

Kinsley rubbed her head and gave Reed a look. It was almost as if she had punched him. She was in so much pain. "Kinsley" He whispered under his breath. Reed scrambled to her, but was stopped when the muzzle of a gun was set between his eyes.

"I wouldn't try that if I were you."

Reed noticed that Kinsley had quietly slumped to the ground and closed her eyes. "Please, just let me help her."

Zaram chuckled. "Not yet. Wait until she's in more pain." He pulled out a small pistol and settled it on Kinsley's elbow.

"Get that away from my arm." Kinsley muttered hatefully.

Zaram smirked, "Feisty."

Reed took that moment of distraction to slap Zaram's gun out of his hand and tackle the man to the ground.

Zaram let out a scream of pain when his head slammed to the ground. "Get off! I'll kill you! I'll kill her and make you watch! You'll watch the life drain out of her!" Reed continued his hand to hand combat with Zaram. They weren't going to die. Not if he had anything to say about it.

"Reed!" Kinsley shouted. "He has his gun!"

Reed dodged a blow to his head and saw that Zaram had regained possession of his gun. He let go of Zaram and rolled over to Kinsley. "Get out! Run out of the cabin! Go!"

Her frantic eyes widened, "No! What about you?"

Reed felt something hard hit his back and knock him to the floor. "Hey!" Zaram was on top of him, struggling to gain the upper hand. Reed flipped onto his back and stared up at Zaram. "Get. Off. Me."

To his surprise, Zaram got off of him. He stood and aimed one gun at Kinsley and one at Reed. "Now the real fun begins."

Kinsley was breathing heavily and definitely struggling to maintain consciousness. Reed's back hurt from the last blow, despite his adrenaline rush. He didn't know if people would come in time, or if he was able to hold Zaram off for much longer. God, what now? What should I do?

"This is what I'm going to do. One shot to Kinsley, two to Reed, three to Kinsley, four to Reed-"

Kinsley's eyes glimmered with tears. He watched as she blinked them away and the fear that had previously been in her eyes was replaced with rage.

The door slammed open. "Cops! Freeze!"

As much as he knew it would hurt her, Reed pulled Kinsley to the ground and yanked her away from Zaram. A quick glance up proved that Asher had found him and he, Kaden, Cole, and the others had been able to save them.

Reed helped Kinsley to her feet and together, they sprinted out of the cabin into the cold mountain air. Kinsley fell onto the snow and held both hands to her head. "Gonna...pass...out..."

He moved swiftly and caught her before she face planted in the snow. Looking up, Reed spotted Asher running out of the cabin. "Asher!"

Asher's face filled with color when he saw Reed and Kinsley were alright. Or mostly alright, considering that Kinsley had just passed out. "You are smart."

Reed knew immediately. He had gone into the bathroom and written the address of where Kinsley was on a paper towel then put it in a place only a cop would see. Before he had gone into the bathroom, he had joked to Asher about checking in on him and Asher had followed through. The bathroom was the only place without security cameras and Reed was able to make sure help had found them quickly. "Yeah, it was pretty smart. Do you have any Ibuprofen or Tylenol?"

Or something to stop the flow of adrenaline and his racing heart.

Asher disappeared then returned with a small bottle of Ibuprofen. "I'm glad you two are alright. I was worried about you guys." His gaze bounced to the cabin, then back to Reed, "Looks like Zaram will finally be where he belongs. Rotting in jail."

Reed stood and picked up Kinsley. "That's for sure. You got your truck here? I want to get her somewhere warm."

Kinsley stirred slightly and let out a quiet moan. "Ow."

Reed smiled down at her. "I have some Ibuprofen for you. Just let me get us to Asher's truck. When you feel up to it, we'll give him our statements."

Kinsley closed her eyes and succumbed to the pain. Reed's heart practically beat its way out of his chest when she relaxed in his arms.

Asher smirked at him. Reed ignored it. Thank you Lord, for keeping us safe. Thank you for keeping us uninjured, except for a minor bumps and bruises. Thank you for helping us catch Zaram. Thank you for your guiding hand bringing justice again.

Asher opened the back door of his truck for Reed and he set Kinsley on the seat, then climbed in after her. "We'll be a bit."

"No problem, I need to go read Zaram his rights." Asher spun on his heel and walked off all too happily.

Reed brushed Kinsley's hair from her eyes. "Here's the Ibuprofen."

Kinsley downed five of them. "Thanks."

"Hey Kinsley?" She opened her eyes, looked at him, and waited. "Go out with me."

She broke into a smile. "Sure."