Chapter 13

Kinsley saw stars. Was she in Heaven? She had to be in Heaven. She blinked several times before her blurry vision cleared.

A huge tree trunk faced her. So maybe she wasn't in Heaven. Then where was she?

It all came back to her. She and Reed had been pushed off the edge of a cliff. How was she even alive?

The tree trunk next to her gave her the answer. The car had hit a tree and the trunk had penetrated the windshield, stopping them from another one hundred foot drop. The airbags had helped as well, although she assumed her face would be covered with bruises. 

A groan interrupted Kinsley's thoughts. Reed. Reed! "Reed?" Her voice was strained. Probably from her screams. "Reed?" She made it louder.

"Kinsley?"

"Oh my goodness, you're alright." She let out a breath.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm not sure. I don't feel pain, but I think it's shock."

"Most definitely."

Kinsley closed her eyes. God, thanks for keeping me alive. Uninjured, I don't know about. Alive, yes. "The tree saved our lives. It destroyed the car, but saved us."

"I'll take my life over this car any day."

A loud moan from the tree startled them both. Kinsley's heart pounded. "Reed!"

The car shook, then stopped. "It's okay Kinsley, you're okay." His gentle voice silenced her fear.

Kinsley dropped her head against the seat of the car. "We need to get out of here."

"Yeah. I'll climb out, then help you. Don't move, glass is everywhere."

Kinsley obeyed and sat still. She heard his car door open and listened for the sound of Reed climbing out. She heard a few grunts and harsh breaths, but then he was out. Three minutes later, he appeared at her door and opened it.

"What did you do to your face?!" She asked, aghast.

Blood dripped down from a cut on his cheek. He touched it gingerly. "Glass cut it, I think. But that looks like the extent of my injuries, other than a sprained ankle."

"Oh."

Reed reached across her and unbuckled her seat belt. "Luckily, we landed on a small patch of land or something." There was a ten foot radius of land all around the car, then a death drop. It truly was a God thing that they were alive.

He started to pull her out of the mess of branches and glass. Kinsley felt his arms come around her and pull her close to him. She didn't resist. Finally, they were out of the car and laying on the snow-packed ground.

Kinsley shivered. "I can't believe we're both alive."

"And in one piece." Reed pulled her close to him and Kinsley let him hold her. "Your scream, Kinsley, it scared me and I'm sorry I couldn't keep us from falling over the edge."

"Don't. You couldn't help it. The psycho ran us over the edge." She shivered again. Reed took off his jacket and draped it across her shoulders.

"We should probably salvage what we can from the car." Reed stood up, then offered a hand to help her.

Kinsley took it and stood. "Yeah. Maybe we should call Cole too."

"If we even have reception down here."

"It's worth a shot." Kinsley shrugged. She carefully opened the trunk and started to pull the necessities out of it.

~~~~~