Chapter Four

That night at the campfire, Apollo's cabin led the sing-along

That night at the campfire, Apollo's cabin led the sing-along. They tried to get everyones spirits up, but it wasent easy after that afternoon's bird attack. They all sat around a semicircle of stone steps, singing halfheartedly and watching the bonfire blaze while the Apollo guys strummed their guitars and picked their lyres.

They did all the standard camp numbers: "Down By The Aegean," "I Am My Own Great-Great-Great-Great Grandpa," "This Land Is Minos's Land." The bonfire was enchanted, so the louder you sang the higher it rose, changing color and heat with the mood of the crowd. On a good night, June had seen it Twenty feet high, bright purple, and so hot the whole front row's marshmallows burst into flames. Tonight, the fire was only five feet high, barely warm, and the flames were the color of lint.

Dionysus left early, After suffering through a few songs, he muttered something about how evven pinochle with Chiron had been more exiting than this. Then he gave Tantaalus a distastful look and headed back toward the Big house.

When the last song was over, Trantalus said, "Well, that was lovely!"

He came forward with a toasted marshmallow on a stick and he tried to pluck it off, real casual-like. But befor ehe could touch it, the marshmallow flew off the stick. Tantalus made a wild grab, but the marshmallow commited suicide, diving into the flames.

"Poor marshmallow, It dident deserve that." June pouted, Michael nodding beside her.

Tantalus turned back towards the campers, smiling coldly. "Now then! Some announcments about tommorows squedhuale."

"Sir," Percy said.

Tantalus eye twitched. "Our kitchen boy has something to say?"

Some of the Ares campers snickered, But percy stood and looked at Annabeth, and he stood with him.

Percy said. "We have an idea to save the camp."

Dead silence, But June could tell he had gotten everybodys intrest, becuase the campfire, flared bright yellow.

"Indeed," Tantalus said blandly. "Well, if it has anything to do with chariots-"

"The golden fleece," Percy said. "We know where it is."

The flames burned orange. Before trantalus could stop Percy he blerted out his dream about grover and Polyphemus's island. Annabeth stepped in and reminded everybody what the fleece could do. It sounded convincing from her.

"The fleece can save the camp," She concluded. "I'm certain of it."

"Nonsense." Said Tantalus. "We dont need saving."

Everybody stared at him untill Tantalus started looking uncomfortable.

"Are you high?" June asked.

"Besides," He added "The sea of monsters? Thats hardly and exact location. You wouldn't even know where to look."