Chapter Two

"Em, can you hand me one of those plates?" I asked as her and I set the table for breakfast that next morning.

She handed me one, allowing me to finally finish my side of the table. I walked into the kitchen where Horace was preparing for us who knows what kind of magical creation.

"Do you need help, Horace?" I asked.

He quickly turned to me, and in an overdone French accent, he said, "A chef never needs help."

I chuckled as I started to back out of the kitchen, "Alright, Chef."

I walked into the dining room where Mum was opening up the windows, whistling quietly to herself. As I walked past her, I couldn't help but gently poke her left arm. She snapped her head towards me with a smile as I chuckled, continuing in my path.

I went out the back door where Olive, Claire, and Bronwyn were all chasing each other around. I thought I was well hidden, ready to go back inside when Claire saw me, "Anna, come and play!"

"Maybe after breakfast, Claire Bear!" I said with a smile before walking back into the house.

All of these sights were beautiful, but the one that was the greatest was Enoch and Hugh being glued to the television, watching it in wonder as a commercial played.

"Guys, it's literally the movies, but at home, and with more selections," I said.

"And that's why it's so fascinating!" Hugh said.

I shook my head with a smile as I watched Enoch change the channel to something called National Geographic, where a peregrine falcon was taking a part a bird that it had captured.

"We must always remember, Hugh, that this is what our Anna Peregrine is underneath," Enoch said.

I scoffed, "First of all rude, second of all, if that's how you claim I am, I'm not the only one here."

"You have the fire."

"I also have maturity," I said, walking to the dining room.

"Debatable."

I saw that Millard had taken my place in helping Emma as Mum turned her head to the stairs before saying, "Nice of you to us!"

I turned my head to see Jacob looking like he was out of it. I quickly rushed over to him, grabbing his hands, "What's wrong? Feeling dizzy again?"

"Just appreciating the scenery," he said drawing me closer.

He then kissed me, like really kissed me. Thank the birds that my mother and the others didn't see.

We ended it too soon before joining arms, walking to the dining as Jacob asked, "How long has everyone been awake?"

"Oh, for hours," Millard said, carrying a pan of biscuits in. "We're loop lagged rather terribly."

"I dressed him this morning," Horace said, peeking out of the kitchen as I noticed that Millard was wearing some nicer clothing than he usually wears. "He's quite the blank state, sartorially speaking.

Jacob went to the garage to check on his family whilst I took in my reality again. Never in my life did I think we would all be living, no longer in fear of my uncle or his goons.

Once Jacob returned, we all sat around the dining room table, my boyfriend sitting down to the right of me whilst Emma sat to the left. Horace came out of the kitchen with platters of food, making a big deal of presenting them.

"This morning we've got pain perdu, potatoes á la royal, a viennoiserie of French pastries, and porridge with caramelized fruits!" he said.