Chapter 30

The vent burst open, falling to the floor. We jumped back in shock.

A demobat shot through the opening, screeching and baring its rows of razor sharp teeth at us.

We all started yelling as we ran forward, jousting our spears upward.

"Die! Die! Die you bastards!" Dustin screamed as he stabbed the bats that were trying to come through the vent.

More bats started to break through the opening. Our spears were useless.

"Die! Die!" Dustin shouted as we continued to fight.

Eddie took a step back, lowering his spear and looking at the ground. He turned away for a moment.

"Eddie!" Dustin screamed.

"What are you doing?" I yelled.

"We need you!" Dustin shouted as two more bats tried to break through the vent.

"Get out of the way! Get out of the way!" Eddie screamed as he moved a kitchen chair forward.

He screamed as he stood on top of the chair, pushing his shield above his head and into the ceiling. He held the shield over the vent for a few moments, panting, before slowly removing his hand from the shield's handle. The nails on the shield held it in place, covering the vent.

"Holy shit. Holy shit," he gasped as he turned to look at us.

"Nice," Dustin exhaled.

"Thanks," Eddie exclaimed as they high fived.

We caught our breath for a second, Dustin and I leaning on our spears for support.

"Are there any other vents?" Dustin asked in between breaths.

"Oh shit," Eddie said as he jumped off the chair and ran to the back room.

"Shit!" Dustin yelled as he ran after him.

We entered Eddie's room, following behind him as we ran to cover the last vent. As if on cue, a swarm of bats came flying out of the vent on the floor, headed straight for us.

Eddie instinctively pushed Dustin and I behind him, out of the way. He shoved us out the door before closing it quickly behind him.

We ran backwards down the hall, tripping over our feet as we kept our eyes on the door. Eddie bent down to pick up the other shield that was laying on the kitchen floor as Dustin stepped onto the mattress. The wood on Eddie's door was starting to split as the bats rapidly tore at it.

"That's not gonna hold!" Dustin screamed.

"Let's go! Let's go!" Eddie yelled, turning to look at Dustin.

Dustin grunted as he reached for the rope and started climbing. He was struggling to pull himself up. I grabbed his legs and pushed him up with all my strength.

"Come on! Quickly! Quickly!" Eddie shouted as he held the shield up for defense. "Go!"

Dustin fell through, landing on the mattress. I looked to the door and back at Eddie.

"Maggie! GO!" he yelled, motioning for me to start climbing through the gate.

I grabbed the rope, pulling myself up, fighting through every instinct I had that told me to stay and fight.

I looked over at the door that was starting to break apart as I fell through the gate. Dustin helped me up once I landed on the mattress. We both stood there, staring up at Eddie. Eddie threw down his shield and spear and started to climb. He turned and looked at the door, pausing.