Piece 2: King of the Pirates

Coby thought this day couldn't get any crazier.... He was wrong. "A-A King...."

"Yep"

"A-are you serious?"

"Yeah!"

"But-but that would mean that you're a pirate too."

"That's right."

Coby was shell-shocked, "and your crew?"

"I don't have one yet, but I'm looking. It is just the two of us right now."

Coby's mind was muddled; he could not wrap his brain around the insanity he was hearing. As he tried to understand the current situation his gaze settled on the beautiful, soft-spoken blonde who was watching the interaction in amusement. She's a pirate?! How can this be? She doesn't look like she could hurt a fly let alone join a fearsome crew of savages.

Luffy was confused as he waved a hand in front of the frozen boy's face.

Kairi gave his shoulder a small squeeze as he turned his black eyes on her.

"All pirates are not the same, remember it will take the world a while to see you for who you truly are." She said compassionately.

Luffy did not always understand exactly what she meant, but what he understood that she cared and always stood up for him so he just smiled gleefully.

Coby snapped out of it and stood up shouting, "Gahhh, KING OF THE PIRATES IS THE TITLE GIVEN TO THE ONE THAT OBTAINS EVERYTHING THAT THIS WORLD HAS TO OFFER. YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT SEEKING THE GREAT TREASURE OF WEALTH, FAME, AND POWER! THE TREASURE THAT YOU SEEK IS THE ONE PIECE!"

"Yeah!" Luffy answered merrily.

"YEAH?!?! THAT'S IT?! PIRATES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD ARE LOOKING FOR THAT TREASURE YA KNOW?!!?"

"Yeah, so?"

"NO WAY, NO WAY, THAT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE! THERE IS NO WAY ANYONE LIKE YOU COULD EVER REACH THE PINNACLE DURING THIS GREAT PIRATE AGE. THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY OUT THERE THAT ARE MEANER AND BETTER-"

Luffy had heard enough and decided to shut Coby up in his own way- a nice knock to the noggin. His punch sent Coby smashing into the floor.

"Why did you hit me?"

"Cause I felt like it"

Kairi let out a sigh, disappointed that Luffy would strike the younger boy, but understanding. "Ya know Coby, it is not very nice to walk all over a person's dream. Also, since when did being a mean pirate make you a strong one?"

"Oh well, I guess I'm just not used to all this stuff." Coby whined as he held his head. "My shipmates smack me around a lot... all the time in fact."

"It's not about IF I can," Luffy stated proudly. "I'm doing this because I want to." He lifted the hat off of his head and stared down at it affectionately. "I decided a long ago that I'm going to be King of the Pirates. If I have to die fighting for that then I die."

Coby looked up in admiration as Kairi listened with a gentle golden glow.

"Alright!" Luffy declared as he grabbed Kairi's hand and began pulling her towards the exit. "Now that my belly is full I am going to get us a brand-new boat! They might even give us one if we ask nicely enough. Maybe they are generous people."

Kairi gripped his hand back and giggled at the innocent naiive nature of the boy dragging her along, "Maybe Lu, maybe."

As the couple walked further from him Coby was left sitting on the floor to digest everything he had just heard. "I guess I never thought about it like that. If I put my mind to it.... If I am prepared to die for it...could I do something like that?"