Chapter One: Tiger Hunt

"Run this by me again, Paige?"

"President, I have explained my theory that this man-eating tiger is a poorly trained ability user. I saw it by the Tsurumi River. Is there a flaw to my theory?"

A young woman stood in front of a desk. Seated behind the desk was a middle aged man. These two were Fukuzawa Yukichi and Cecelia Renèe Paige. The Agency's boss and the Agency's only American.

Fukuzawa sighed as he looked at the female in front of him. "There are no flaws to your theory. In fact, you've theorized things a bit too perfectly like this before. An example being the Azure Apostle incident."

It was remembered clearly by Cecelia. The theory she had was spot on when it was confirmed by Kunikida.

"Miss Sasaki is entirely suspicious in my eyes. I have reason to believe she's behind this."

No one had believed her except Dazai. Most just brushed this off as them being friends who were just likely to trust the other's words. But those two were intelligent. Put them on the field together and no criminal could escape their claws. On their own, they were extraordinary. But together, they were tied with Ranpo in the intelligence department.

After that, a lot of people realized Cecelia's high intelligence. She merely just brushed it off as gut instinct, but people didn't buy it. If Cecelia said something was someway now, people would believe her without a second thought. This didn't exclude Fukuzawa.

Fukuzawa eyed her as she stood there. "So, what do you wish to do with this information?"

Cecelia looked at him straight in the eyes, face serious. "I wish to aid Kunikida and Dazai on this hunt. I wish to prove my theories correct once more."

"I see. I will speak with the two about this. Let's hope that your theories are once again proved right."

Cecelia nodded to him before she was dismissed. Her mind kept flickering back to what happened at the Tsurumi River.

Let's see how long it takes the Agency to find you, tiger cub.

...

Atsushi was pinned to the ground by a man named Kunikida. He had tried to escape after figuring out they were hunting the tiger that wrecked his orphanage. Kunikida didn't let him escape and gripped his arm tightly. "You may pay for your meal with your arm-or by telling us all you know."

"Now, now, Kunikida. There's no need to be so harsh."

Atsushi heard many noises of admiration and gasps spring up. Something inside him suddenly felt joyful. He looked up to see who had come. What he saw made his breath hitch.

The speaker was a young woman who probably stood an inch or two below him. Her clothing consisted of a white button up, black pants held up by a brown and gold belt, heeled boots, arm accessories, a rose barrette, and an owl totem necklace. She had a knife at her side and she proceeded to pop a hard candy into her mouth.

Dazai apparently knew her since he greeted her warmly while helping Atsushi up. "Ah! I was wondering when you were going to arrive, Cecelia."

Kunikida turned to him. "You called her?"

"Well, of course I did! So, Atsushi, Cecelia. Cecelia, Atsushi. Now, let's talk about that tiger business, shall we?"

Cecelia pulled up a chair for herself before her eyes landed on Atsushi. Atsushi couldn't understand why he felt a small twinge of joy seeing her face. Nonetheless, he sat down to explain to the agents. "That tiger wrecked my orphanage. It destroyed our fields, tore our storehouse to shreds... No one died, thankfully, but the orphanage was too cash strapped to recover. So they tossed me out to save money."