Prologue 0-4: Window Scrubbing

Hours later after today's event, Grim and y/n sat in the empty cafeteria waiting on Ace,"I'm already exhausted from a full day of cleanin'. I can't believe we still gotta wash a hundred windows!" Grim whines on the table that y/n is lying her head on, arms crossed under her chin.

"Tell me about it. The cleaning chemicals is making my skin so dry, I hate that feeling." y/n sighs,"Unfortunately, we've got no choice in the matter. Let this be a lesson to you." she adds with a slight whine and pout.

"What's buggin' me is, Ace ain't even here yet! To make us wait, after what he did... Grrr!" Grim grumbles with crosses arms as y/n stays quiet.

They waited for another hour or so before their patience, especially Grim's, wore thin,"...And now he's super late!" Grim shouts as he jumps onto his hind legs,"I bet he up and bailed on us!" he claims as y/n sighs and stands up from her seat.

"It seems so bud. Let's go find him." she says and Grim jumps onto her shoulder,"Ain't no way am I doin' his punishment for him! C'mon, y/n, I don't care if we gotta drag him kickin' and screamin', he's washin' those windows!" Grim shouts as he points at the exit,"Sure, sure..." y/n rolls her eyes before leaving to find Ace.

They searched classroom to classroom until coming to a stop at their tenth one,"Hey! Ace! Get over here! Try to hide from me, will ya!" Grim shouts as he jumps to the floor, frustrated with having no luck in finding the ginger.

"Um, Grim..." y/n taps his head and motions to the empty classroom,"Huh... Maybe there's really no one here?" Grim looks around with confusion,"Oh, I wouldn't say that, I'm here." a new voice states and the duo turns to a painting of a man with a pointy nose wearing a top hat and glasses.

"Bwaaah!/Ahhhhh!" y/n and Grim hug each other in fright,"That painting just talked!" the yell as their body quivers at the impossible happening before them,"Yes, and...? Is a talking painting really such an oddity at this school? The lady in the portrait on that wall talks too. As does the gentleman in the portrait on this one." the painting states,"As long as a painting has a mouth, why wouldn't it be able to talk? Is that really so strange?"

"Oh, I see... Sorry about that sir. Normally where I'm from, paintings usually don't talk." y/n says as she puts Grim down,"Well, your 'usual' and my 'usual' clearly differ. Shall we agree to disagree on the matter?" the painting says,"Agree to disagree, sir." y/n quirks a smile.

"Now, you seem to be searching for someone." the painting inquires,"We're lookin' for this guy called Ace. He's got messy hair and a heart drawn on his face." Grim tells him,"Ah, I know the one. A new student, I believe? Today was his first day at school. I think he went back to his dorm a while ago." the painting reveals.

"Myaaah! So it's true! He's tryin' to ditch us! Do you know which way he went?" Grim asks as his fur bristles a bit with anger,"The door to the dorms is in the eastern building." the portrait reveals and Grim spares y/n a glance,"Let's chase after him, y/n!" he exclaims before running off,"Thank you for your help sir!" y/n gives the portrait a smile before running after Grim.

"Yeah right, like I'm gonna wash a hundred windows. I'm just gonna go back and-" Ace yawns with hands laced behind his head,"There he is!" y/n points at Ace once she and Grim spots him,"AHA! GOTCHA, PUNK!" Grim charges at Ace with a scowl, causing Ace to jump in surprise at the sight of them.

"Oh no! They saw me!" he panics before running off,"Stop right there, pal! No fair gettin' a head start! Wait!" Grim screams,"Who in their right mind would ever wait?! Seeya!" Ace shouts back,"No way are you gettin' out of this! You think I WANNA wash windows?" Grim whines,"Don't you dare skip out as well!" y/n scowls at the monster before spotting a blue haired boy in the distance.