nine

ELIETTA

I hid somewhere before Roye could follow me. I didn't remember him being in the tavern at all. Only the female lead, Lily, was supposed to be there. Yet I saw him, his eyes glued to me even after I looked away.

I knew that I had messed with the story and that it wouldn't flow completely like the original but I hadn't expected this. Why had he gone there anyway?

Oh well, this time I hadn't used any of my powers as a witch so it shouldn't have seemed too strange. I was able to make use of my status as a daughter of a powerful marquess to make them back off.

I took off the flower that was on my hair and held it lightly. It had a soft scent, like that of vanilla. This wasn't just any flower but a special flower that can protect someone from any evil. Lily was originally supposed to get this flower after protecting that woman in the tavern and then give it to the crown prince as an act of kindness. But a gut feeling was telling me that wasn't going to happen.

While I'd seen Lily in the tavern I was unsure of whether her meeting with the prince would happen like in the story. Lily had gone to a neighbouring city after the explosion that had happened in Airhamn. Feeling like she had to take some time to recollect herself after her home city had basically been destroyed. That was where her and the crown prince would meet and she'd give him the flower. But this time only a small part of the city had been ruined. The chances of her feeling like leaving were slim and I couldn't wait for her to give him the flower by their next meeting. Since by then it'd be too late.

A witch had placed a curse on the crown prince while he was unaware and he only had a short while to live. There would be no symptoms until he was close to his death. So no around him, nor would he himself notice what was going on inside his body.

I can't imagine what would happen if the crown prince of this land dies. Especially if they figure out a witch caused it. The kingdom that already despises witches would go absolutely haywire.

I let out a deep sigh and palmed my face.

There were no moments of rest here.

I'd rather just rest in my garden but clearly I'm not allowed that.

###

I took a carriage to the neighbouring city, Lurne. During the ride I could try to remember closer details for how everything went in the novel. From the few weeks I had lived in this world I had documented everything I had remembered from the original novel in a book and would add things whenever I remembered something new. I kept that book in a tiny purse I had at my side, with the flower that stayed inside a glass jar so it wouldn't get crushed.

Just like Roye, the crown prince had also been blessed by the angels and Gods. So using a spell to change my appearance would only cause more trouble than it was worth.

I soon got to the city of Lurne and headed towards where I'd written down the crown prince was hidden. Since he was the crown prince, he'd changed his appearance so that others wouldn't surround him. Since the novel was written in Lily's perspective she described the crown prince who actually has blonde hair and green eyes as a freckled boy with dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Which is what nearly everyone here looked like... This isn't going to be easy.

A large, pink flower shop stood in a corner, hidden behind all the larger shops. I walked to it and stood by the window. Peeking inside to see if there were any boys who fit the prince's description. What even was the prince's name? It had been awfully long so when I read the novel I just shortened it to "Crown Prince".

"Hmm, his name should be..." I paused. "It was, was, damn."

Well, I'll remember eventually.

A tall boy who fit the description from the novel walked past me, into the store. He stood out from all the other men there and had the air of being the second male lead following him. It had to be! I found him! I smiled and walked into the store. Paying attention to the flowers as I slowly walked closer to him. His knights were probably hidden somewhere, watching anyone who was getting close to him. So I had to make sure to not act too suspiciously.

The prince reached for a rose and in swift action I reached for it too.

"Oh my! Pardon me, you can take the rose." I smiled.

"No, no, it's alright— Lady Pumchell?"

I blinked. "Have we met before?"

"... No we haven't. I've just seen you from afar and heard of some things."

"What type of things have you heard?" I looked intently into his eyes.

He gave me a warm smile. Even in disguise he could still smile like a prince. "That you're a beautiful lady, and it seems to be true."

I chuckled and then looked at the rose, making my smile shrink a bit. "It really is a beautiful rose isn't it?"

He looked at me for a moment and then smiled. "Yes it is." He placed the rose on my hand. "Which is why a beautiful lady should have an equally beautiful rose."

He was probably just acting but it still made my heart skip a beat. Focus Elietta!

I cleared my throat and thanked him. Before he could leave I held his hand and then backed away. "Ah! Pardon me! It's just, I feel I should give you something in return."

"It really isn—"

"Here!" I placed the flower in his hands. "Men should have equally beautiful flowers too, don't you think?" I chuckled. "Keep it by your side always, okay?"

Before he could ask me to take it back I left the store, walking away without looking back.

That was another ordeal taken care of. I could go home and rest in my garden now. Any other plot points were hopefully not going to be as exhausting as these two.

Right, his name is Laurent Vin Jost.

What a silly name.