Chapter 3: A Message

All I could see was the water that shimmered underneath the sun. The sand had a warm feeling as my feet stepped through it. I ran toward the ocean and I smiled as I caught up to Christopher and Cloe. Suddenly, there was a strong force that pulled me away from them. The last thing that I could see was a gunshot to both of them and I screamed.
    "Tracie. Tracie," a familiar voice said. I looked around and it was my mother. "Mom?," I said. "I only have a little time. Listen,"
"Be careful. You may never see them again. Daniel Walters killed me so he won't hesitate to kill you. I have a feeling he may be on some sort of mission. He may have some sort of plan. I love you, Tracie, to infinity and back," she said and then she disappeared.
My eyes opened and I saw Christopher shaking me. My eyes filled with tears. I pulled Christopher down and hugged him. "Uh. Uh. Okay...are you okay?," he asks.
After a few minutes I sat up and started to talk to him. "We-we were on the beach and I ran to you and Cloe but then something pulled me away and shot you guys. Well. Then, Mom. She told me something. I've got to go," I say and I get out of bed.
"Babe, it's five o'clock in the morning," Christopher says. "I promised Dad that I would track Daniel Walters and get justice for Mom and if this helps, I'll be one step closer to keeping this promise," I say. "Tracie, you're not the only one who wants to find him but I just don't want you to get hurt," he says. "I won't, I promise," I say and grab my shoes. "You can't promise that," said a voice. It wasn't Christopher's.
I looked up and saw my dad. "Your mother promised me that before she went into the office and I never saw her again. She said, 'I promise I won't die. All of my other promises have not been broken so this one won't be. I promise I won't die,"
"I love you.'  And that was the last day I never saw he-," he said but his voice broke and started crying. I stand up and hug him. "I never knew. I'm sorry," I say.