Memories

After the incident with that mysterious creature which apparently was called a hawk, the farm was in total chaos. Eve's parents were shaken by the incident and were completely broken. Periwinkle's mom was insisted on making Periwinkle to stay in her cave for as long as she thought was safe all the parents were huddled in groups and were talking about who knows what and the youngest were left in the caves with at least one family member in each floor tending to them while the other kids had been taken outside for dinner they were gossiping about the events that took place and either everyone asked Periwinkle if she was ok or they stared at her like as if she was a survivor of a tsunami or as she somehow caused the tsunami.

Periwinkle herself just wanted to be alone and process what just happened. She mentally couldn't accept the fact that eve was actually gone. And the hole in her heart felt bigger than usual. And what was up with that creature (the Hawk it was called?) just suddenly deciding to fly away? So weird.

And of course the biggest question of all what had just saved her life like it did from the dingoes. Why did it save her life in the first place? It couldn't be a mere coincidence or could it?

"Periwinkle." A voice called. Her mom's voice. Probably at the door. "Yes, what is it?" She replied without turning to face her. "Dear you should get some fresh air it'll make you feel better like it usually does." Hmm should I?  "No mom I just need some solitude, maybe later." Her mom understood and walked away. Periwinkle let out a deep sigh and nestled her head in a pile of hay where she was lying down. She wanted to sleep,but she couldn't no matter how she tried.

Ugh I should have taken mom's offer for a walk. I guess I'll just sneak out like I used to when I was stuck here for all those cold and lonely months.

She remembered when she was younger and stuck there all that time ago, though she was given the choice to go out whenever she needed to for 30 minutes at a stretch but only the dog, Bella would talk to her as Bella didn't really have anyone to hang out with  because animals thought she was way too hyperactive and a bit too optimistic about everything, but Periwinkle loved that about her. That was probably why George and Natalie chose Bella in the first place. It was her optimism that made Periwinkle feel so much better and lighter. Bella was an amazing friend. Bella knew how to have fun and they kept in touch.

Once while she was on one of her breaks outside she was wondering where Bella was. She had nothing to do other than to stare with envy at the animal who was with Tangerine. She wanted to be with Tangerine but as Tangerine was busy hanging out with OTHER animals she decided she wouldn't go. Even if she went that would just make things worse like if Tangerine would reject her and-

Stop overthinking Periwinkle!

"Ugh, I can't watch this I'm going outta here." She admitted. She turned to walk to the cave under the eyes of Quishna, one of her aunts.
"Aunt Quishna?" She asked.
"Hmm?"
"Where is Bella?"
"Probably accompanying that new chick 🐥 on its first walk outside, the chick has been cooped up for about 2 months after its birth."
"What about the chick's parents?"
"They wanted a break after constantly guarding the chick, oddly they trusted Bella for the job."
"Hmmm, what was the chick's name?"
"I think they said it was Eve? Not too sure though."
They walked to the caves in silence after that.

Hmm a new chick? maybe the chick didn't hear everything about me and I might have half a chance to be it's friend. And Eve is a pretty name.

After lying in her hay for 3 hours straight she decided to do something bizarre and see what would happen. She decided to SNEAK out. The idea was exciting really. She had been observing that loosely joint piece of wood for a while now and it was in front of the fence which meant that she would have a lower chance of being seen. She opened the window by delicately removing the screws and tried to pull it in by its frame. And it actually worked! She placed the glass on the pile of hay next to her and popped her head out and felt the low temperature outside making her skin prickle with goosebumps. It made her feel.........ALIVE!

She looked down and saw the ground 2 floors below. Ok nobody said it would be easy. She stood on the window sill and put one of her limbs out and she felt like she was half on the verge to fall.

She closed her eyes tight and leaped out of the sill. She fell down for about 2 seconds and luckily was in one piece although she probably needed a back massage later. When she got up she felt some animal staring at her.
"Hi there!" The creature said. High pitched voice hmm probably a chick. Wait a second, she had been out for what 5 seconds and she was in trouble already? Alright Peri calm down just use a diversion and ask her what SHE is doing here.
"What are you doing here at this hour?" She asked. She wanted to sound menacing, but it seemed like her voice betrayed some anxiety. Either the chick didn't notice or it didn't care.
"Well I have never been to this part of the farm before so I thought I should check it out! But what are you doing here?"
"I.....was doing something that is none of your business. And look at sky it is already twilight who comes to check out a particular part of a farm at this time??"
"Me! And apparently you too, whatever mysterious thing you are doing which sounded like something fell down and has you lying on the floor. Oh my do you have a bOyfriEnD."
"What?? How on earth could you assume something as crazy as that?? I'm too young for that stuff and am just trying to sneak out successfully without being interrupted!" Oh no 😲 that was the worst thing she could have said. She couldn't see the creature's reaction in the dark but she knew she would end up in more trouble than how much she was already in.

"NO WAY, I thought I was the only person who did that sort of things! you must be way more interesting than I thought you would be. What's your name?"
She did NOT expect that sort of a reaction and was confused by its behaviour but she got a joyful and a friendly vibe from this creature......something she hadn't experienced in a long time and she found herself warming up to the chick.
"I'm Periwinkle. What about you?"
The creature stepped into a beam of moonlight and revealed itself as a yellow chick with black strokes on its wings and head, with the moonlight caressing it's features giving it a glow of sorts.
"My name is Eve."