Part 17

Eve stared incredulously at Joe as his shoulders shook, still unable to decipher what he was saying or whom he was talking about. "Joe, take a deep breath, I can't understand you," Eve ordered, "can you please start over?" Wiping his nose on his sleeve, Joe exhaled before recounting his meeting with Lana.

"You have 15 minutes," he scowled, his mood in direct contrast to the bright smile Lana flashed him. "Joey, you know that our future is going to require a longer conversation than that," Lana grinned. "What the fuck is this shit?" Joe shoved the contents of the package across the patio table. Inside had been a sonogram and a onesie that read 'My Daddy Plays Football Better Than Your Daddy.'

"It's our pregnancy reveal. You're gonna be a dad," Lana laughed, rubbing her belly. Joe felt bile rise into his throat as he shook his head. "Lana, there is no fucking way that kid is mine. Not possible."

"Really? You wanna bet? You're the only guy I've slept with all year, and I seem to recall you showing up on my doorstep four and a half months ago very eager to see me," Lana smirked.

Joe felt his body heat up as he thought back to that night.

It was roughly 10 days before Delaney's wedding, and he'd been in Arizona for the weekend. He was hammered and lonely, wanting a quick release before he headed back to Ohio. Yes, he'd slept with Lana, but it was more of a goodbye fuck in his mind than anything else.

"Lana, you said you were on birth control. I fucking asked you!" Joe's voice raised an octave and he could have sworn he saw Lana's eyes twinkle. "Well, the pill is only 99% effective and I was on antibiotics. Considering how enthusiastic you were that night, it's no surprise that this happened," Lana shrugged.

Joe sat quietly, trying to organize his thoughts as to what to say next. He knew he needed to be careful about how he proceeded; the likelihood of Lana recording their conversation high. "Lana...are you sure you want to keep this baby? I will not have anything to do with it. This is not something I will be participating in."

Lana sat forward, her demeanor changing. "I'm sure I didn't just hear Joe Burrow just try to pressure me into termination and imply that he wouldn't support his own child. Surely I'm mistaken," Lana's tone was short as she continued, "but for the record, it's too late for termination. Maybe if you hadn't ignored my calls or texts for three months, it wouldn't be."

Holding his head in his hands, Joe couldn't believe what he was hearing. How could he have let himself get into this situation? This was the biggest fuckup of his life, and he couldn't stop thinking about Eve. They were so happy and in love; things finally falling into place. What was she going to say? Would she leave him, again?

Clearing his throat, he fought his urge to throw up as he stood up from the table. "Lana, I'm calling my attorney and you're taking a paternity test. This week. I will be damned if I fall for some scam for the next 5 months."

Lana nodded before grabbing her purse. "I'd be happy to. I've already retained an attorney since your girlfriend's secretary is such a bad notetaker. I'll have him coordinate with you." Joe grabbed Lana's arm as she turned to walk out of Sam's backyard. "Lana, let me make something very clear to you. You are to stay away from Eve. And you stay away from me. Baby or no baby, we do not, and will not, have a relationship."

Joe wiped his nose again, trying to steady his breathing as he waited for Eve to say something. She stared blankly at the wall, her mind racing at Joe's confession. "Evie, I'm so sorry, Please say something baby," Joe pleaded. Laughing bitterly, Eve looked at Joe with what could only be described as pure disgust.