Chapter 2

𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 2

Once I was inside of the house, I was greeted by the familiar warmth and that warmth was so comforting that it confirmed to me that the building I was in was a home. My home. It was Lucas' home too which was why I had such a large determination to search for him to bring him back so that he knew that someone really did care, since my mother clearly didn't. He had probably lost all hope that anybody still cared but what he didn't know was that there was still hope. I was that hope and I was going to find him.

"Dinner's on the table and don't you dare talk to me. I've had enough of you going on about your stupid brother." My mother spoke coldly. You might think that she was abusive but the truth was that she had never hurt me or my brother, not physically at least, but she had hurt me with the rude words about Lucas. I struggled to process what my mother had just said. I had never known my brother very well but how could she call her own son stupid? Her words hurt me because I knew that they would definitely of hurt Lucas.

I walked over to the table to see what my mother had called "dinner". It was completely unappetizing but it appeared to be bangers and mash, a classic British meal that every Brit had tried at least once in their life time, well, unless you're vegan of course, but I definitely knew I definitely had, but this time it didn't look as good as usual. The sausages were burned and the mashed potato was runny. I looked over at my mother. A part of me had wanted to tell her that the meal was utterly disgusting but my father had grown me up with manners and so I decided against that idea, forcing the meal down me.

"Okay thanks for the meal, mum, it was delicious." I lied but when seeing the smile on my mother's face I felt guilty. She had actually believed me. I knew I had to get away as fast as I could and so that was what I did but after leaving without saying anything I felt even worse. I decided to ignore the guilt that was eating me from the inside out because I had to make a plan. A plan on how to get out of the home so that I could find Lucas.