Prologue: Getting the Job

“Ughhhh, god, why is getting a job so needlessly difficult?!”

Kitsune whined in annoyance, throwing her head back against the couch with a phone in her hand. Her husband, Jesse, had been the only one doing actual work for the past couple months and she felt bad. It didn’t feel right to her that he had to be the one to sustain the household- not after everything he’s been through, it didn’t feel right. So, she opted to look for a job... Which, in this day and age, was a lot easier said than done.

“You don’t have to worry about it, Kitsune. I promise- it isn’t an issue at all!” Jesse stated, walking over and sitting beside him. “Like I said in the past- I bought this place myself, so we just have the electricity, water, and such. Please, don’t stress yourself.”

The redhead sighed, leaning against Jesse as her head rested on her shoulder. “I know, but I still feel bad. Like, you’re working your ass off almost all week, and what am I doing? Nothing.” She remarked.

Jesse hummed a bit, running a hand through her hair. “Well.. If you insist. But please- don’t hesitate to ask me for help. I really don’t mind taking a few shifts off for you.” He stated.

“Thanks, Jess. You’re the best.” Kitsune smiled, nuzzling him a bit. Her husband chuckled a bit.

“Says the one who managed to bring me back to my senses and helped me forget about that accursed forest. You were right- that place was doing me much more harm than good.” He remarked, lightly headbutting her.

Kitsune resumed job hunting, Jesse helping her out here and there. Usually he’d give little suggestions, like looking for specific hours or pay. He also used his knowledge of certain work environments. After a bit of scrolling, they stopped at a certain restaurant. Or well, restaurant, playplace.. Daycare. It was a lot of things, really. Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzaplex, it was called. And the position called for a daycare attendant. A “human one” as the ad worded it.

Now, Kitsune and Jesse had heard the rumors of the company. None of which were very good. Stories of murders, disappearances, dead children, supposed hauntings, animatronics built to kill- they had heard a lot of it. It was quite hard to ignore. But.. The hours were pretty good, and the pay was even better. $30 an hour, it advertised. It was quite tempting.

The couple glanced at each other, as if they were both debating on it. Finally, they decided to give it a shot. Kitsune put in an application.. And very quickly, it was accepted. Shockingly quick, honestly.

“Well, that was fast..” Kitsune muttered.

“Indeed- huh?” Jesse agreed, pausing when Kitsune suddenly got an email. They glanced at each other again, confused. Opening the email, Kitsune was even more shocked as she realized what it was. It was a formal job offer- signed by the owner of the place.

“Ok, that’s…. rather uncanny.” Jesse commented.

“Yeah, no, I agree. You’d think I’d get an interview or something, but no- hired just like that. Kinda suspicious.” Kitsune nodded.

“Agreed..” Jesse frowned a bit. “Kitsune.. I have no idea what is in there, but given the reputation of the place, I beg you- please be careful. I don’t know what I’d do if something bad happened to you.” He seriously said, holding Kitsune’s hands.

Kitsune smiled softly, lightly bumping her forehead against his. “I’ll be fine, Jesse. I promise. Nothin’s gonna happen to me- if there’s one good thing that came out of those Chastiser years, it’s the fact that I’m more than capable of protecting myself.” She assured.

Jesse sighed, smiling a bit. “Ok.. You’re right. What time do you go in?” He asked.

“Monday- but before my actual shift, my boss wants to meet me.” Kitsune responded, her husband nodding in response.

“Alright then. I wish you luck. I’m sure you’ll do great.” He remarked, kissing her head. “I love you.”

Kitsune giggled a bit. “I love you too, sweetheart.” She responded, yawning. “Anyways, we should probably get to bed. I’m tired.” She stated.

Jesse chuckled a little. “Right then- come on. Let’s go to bed.” He responded, taking her hand as they walked to their room. The redhead smiled, satisfied with the evening. In her mind, she was already planning what they’d do tomorrow. It was her last weekend of being jobless, afterall.

She wanted to make it a good one- as celebration in a way.