Chestnut {11}

"Do you want to carry on shopping online?" asked Nicolo as he swiftly exited the car. "I can get my laptop?"

Lucia clambered out too, not nearly with the same amount of grace he had, and thought about the kindest way to say no.

Before she could even attempt to answer, Cielo basically jumped out of the backseat, where Nicolo had forced him to sit even though Cielo desperately wanted the front seat. "Nope. She totally wants to shop with me, so we can get her some stylish clothes."

Nicolo straightened up, setting his shoulders back. He turned sharply to the youngest triplet, his eyes narrowed, lips pursed. "And what, might I ask, does that mean Cielo?" he questioned darkly.

Shrugging, Cielo walked in time with Lucia to the front door. He had a smirk drawn lazily on his lips, but a tiny dash of panic sprinkled into his eyes.

After locking the car, Nicolo quickly strode over to them both. He would not let this go; his younger brother had pretty much insulted him in front of his baby sister – he would not let this go without an explanation.

Cielo had just managed to get through the extensive amount of security by the time Nicolo got to them. Both he and Lucia stopped as the second eldest stood with his hands on his hips ahead of them, blocking their way.

"What," Nicolo began, keeping his voice even, "exactly did that mean, Cielo Liam Peretti?"

Lucia coughed out a laugh. "Full name, you're in trouble."

Cielo smiled at his baby's laugh, immediately stopping at the expectant glare being shot at him from Nicolo.

He gulped – in a very manly way – really considering the option of turning around to sprint back out of the door. Cielo glanced down to his right. Maybe not, he couldn't leave her again.

He opened his arms wide in a gesture of innocence. "Nothing, Nic. I only meant that we have very different styles, so maybe Lucia would like a more varied wardrobe."

If Nicolo's unamused look was anything to go by, Cielo was definitely not a great actor.

He heaved out a sigh. His head dropped, swinging over to Lucia slightly. "He's only in a mood because I made the comment in front of you."

The teenagers nose scrunched; she didn't really get what he meant.

"Cielo!" Nicolo heard what he had said and was not happy.

"Sorry, Mama Bear," his hands went up in a gesture of surrender. "But what I meant was that I have a very ... modern fashion sense and you dress like a mob boss from the 60s."

Nicolo's eyes widened in shock and fear and irritation. "Cielo!" he shouted before collecting himself again. "I dress in a professional manner because I am an adult. Perhaps one day you will decide to do the same."

"I hope not."

"Keys and phone." Nicolo held his hand out without any traces of humour.

Cielo's mouth fell open. "What?"

One eyebrow raised; Nicolo stayed silent – he knew his brother had heard him. This filled him with an immense satisfaction. He loved being the older sibling of most of the family.

"Are you joking?"

Blankly, nicolo blinked, never moving his hand nor his gaze.

Cielo groaned at the unfairness and cruelty of life. He gave his keys to Nicolo mentioning that the rest were in the garage and then he dug his phone out from his back pocket, putting it into his brother's awaiting hand.