Prologue

I mounted Storm. I loosened my grip on his reins as I looked over at my instructor, David. He gave me a curt nod as I entered on the track. I broke into a walk, Storm levelling himself with the starting point of the course. It was cross-country. If I passed this with flying colours, I would definitely make it to provincials. This ride mattered. It counted.

"Jennifer Jones, age 8. Competing for junior provincials in cross-country." The announcer boomed. I felt calm, and collected. I pushed my heels back, and straightened up as I heard the horn, and I was off. Dodging all these obstacles, at a fair-paced canter. I flew over the creek, Storm missing it by allot. I felt his hooves crash into the ground, gaining his balance and kept going. I felt confident, I couldn't go on auto-pilot now. I gathered my reins in and we raced to the last jump.

"Almost done, Jen." I thought, Storm's running becoming heavy. I watched as the jump came closer, lifting my weight up and setting off for the jump. As we flew in the air, I realized.. I had gone too early.

Trying to hold back, I kept my heels down and knees locked around him. I let out a cry as we went straight to the ground, like a rapid. I thought we weren't going to make it for sure, until I heard a clang of the ground, Storm got over it. Suddenly he skidded to a stop. He bucked and reared, hovering next to the jump. I cried as I went straight to the ground, getting left beside the rusty jump on the hooved-mark ground. The last thing I saw, was Storm galloping away as I was left. My eyes locked shut, and I fell unconscious. And there before I fell, I decided.. To turn my back on David and the horses...