1. A Past Unforgotten

Be the Winter Soldier. Be the Winter Soldier. Be the Winter Soldier.

As Bucky walks into the bar, Zemo and Sam by his side, he repeats the phrase to himself over and over and over again. Whispers erupt in the crowd when people see his face, but he keeps an eye out for the ones who look away too quickly, the ones who will cause trouble. Like the man in the corner, smirking at Bucky's arm, or the hooded figure with cloth covering their face who simply turns back to the flight of shots in front of them.

"Hello, gentlemen," the bartender says. "Wasn't expecting you, Smiling Tiger."

"His plans changed," Zemo says. "We have business to do with Selby."

The bartender looks around as one particular person tightens their hood and walks away. The other figure Bucky had noticed before, the one at the bar, simply knocks back a shot. "The usual?" The bartender asks.

Sam nods. As the bartender fixes a drink, Bucky watches the person at the bar, their eyes flashing too quickly for him to see clearly. Thoughts tug his mind away from him, but he focuses on that phrase instead of the warm embrace he misses so much or the person he'd like to have by his side right now. Anyone is better than Zemo, but he will only ever trust one person.

But Malka is not here, and as much as he wants to full-heartedly believe it's her own fault, he can't help the pain that reminds him of his own choices. Especially the choice that pushed her away for good at a time they both desperately needed to hold on.

The figure gets up from the bar and slips through the crowd.

"Ah," Zemo sighs. "Smiling Tiger. Your favorite." Bucky resists the urge to smirk when he sees the concoction of snake heart and alcohol.

Sam hesitantly takes the shot. "I love these." He hesitates still before swallowing the mixture, proceeding to send the bartender a thumbs up.

Bucky tenses when an unknown man walks over, gaining Zemo's attention. "Got word from on high. You ain't welcome here."

"I have no business with the Power Broker," Zero replies, "but if he insists, he can either come and talk to me..." He then motions to Bucky.

The man glances over. "New haircut?"

"Or bring Selby for a chat."

The man walks away, passed where Bucky sees the hooded figure standing, arms crossed. "A power broker?" Bucky asks, trying not to think about the looks they are getting. "Really?"

"Every kingdom needs its king. Let's just pray we stay under his radar."

"Do you know him?" Sam asks.

"Only by reputation. In Madripoor, he is judge, jury, and executioner." Men begin to approach as Zemo says in Russian, "Winter Soldier. Attack."