6. Trophy Wife

 Stupid Zemo getting into his stupid head. And that damn image of her smiling made his mind go blank. Bucky really needs to stay more composed.

The two hours between when they left the camp and now were a whirlwind. Bucky looked over his shoulder every other second waiting for the Dora to attack, but he still slipped away to follow Malka through the streets to the local store. His mind refused to let him help her, even when he saw her struggling to buy a bunch of blankets, food, and other various supplies.

He ended up buying everything she left behind and bringing it to the camp right as she arrived. There was this look on her face when she saw him helping out; if he didn't know any better, he'd say she was in awe, especially when the kids seemed to flock around him like insects to honey.

When she was distracted, the kid that had taken her attention before cornered Bucky. Asked him, "Are you Miss Hannah's one-armed hero?"

That last word, hero, had surprised Bucky. Almost as much as the name Hannah.

"She said you were mad at her. Why?"

He hadn't dignified that with a response.

"She is sad, you know. She thinks I do not know, but I do."

"Kid, you're lucky," he had replied. "She cares about you." That had made him look over to see her smiling with a blonde girl, a red thread hanging from a button.

The boy had frowned. "Then you must be the luckiest since she looks at you the same way bố looked at mẹ. Like you give her light." (Dad; mom)

He had not spoken a word to Malka, even on their way back to Zemo's safe house. If he were naive, he might have thought she would want to talk, but he is not an idiot. Malka is not a talkative person; he knows all too well.

Again, though, she continues to steal the breath from his lungs, because when she stepped out of a back room in her Strzyga outfit without the luxury of her mask and eye makeup, he stopped working. It took Sam of all people to nudge him to keep him moving.

He and Malka flank Zemo as they walk through the streets, Sam sticking to Malka's side and urging her to talk, but Bucky recognizes the look on her face. She won't budge if she is completely focused on Zemo.

"Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit!" Bucky hears from ahead of them. He rolls his eyes as the group walks to meet John Walker and Lemar Hoskins, that damned shield strapped to the wrong person's back.

"What the hell is this Aryan wannabe?" Malka mumbles as she narrows her eye at Walker. "Why does it have the shield?"

"How'd you find us?" Bucky asks as he flings his arms out. He wants to laugh, but he keeps his composure.