night surfing date

seven

"a few small housekeeping bits i'd like to go over. we have a lot to look forward to this season," paige announces to all of us, "now, i understand some of you might think that debbing is outdated. it's something you're doing to appease your families."

i watch as shayla picks up her purse, gigi looks over as well and in shaylas hand is a flask.

"but the cousins debutante ball is a part of history,"

shayla pours some of the alcohol into her cup and then passes it to gigi who does the same, "venerated, yet ever evolving, it's a tradition you'll someday pass on to your own daughters. it's a formal marking of this passage of time between your teenage years and your adulthood. one ends, and the other begins."

i raise an eyebrow and laugh as marisa pores herself some. she winks at belly and i before passing the flask on, "it's a journey generations of women before you have taken. women who you can learn from and who can inspire you. debs, at each table is a big sister who will guide you through the season. so. please introduce yourselves."

i look at each girl, wondering who my big sister was. i soon found out who, "hey little sisters," nicole says to belly and i.

"hey," we both laugh.

"honestly, my parents made me do it last year because, you know, like, all the women in my family have done it. but my big sis was great, and i actually ended up having a lot of fun. so just don't be nervous, okay? do you want some?" she asks belly and i.

i nod and grab the flask, pouring some alcohol into my cup. belly gives me a look as i chug the liquor down fast. "you should try some bells," i tell her.

she shakes her head and i watch as her eyes land on something in the hall.

"i'll be right back," she says, getting up out of her seat and runs out of the room.

"oh, okay." nicole says.

the girls all look at me and i shrug, having no idea why belly ran out of the room. i continue to pour myself some more alcohol but i'm stopped by nicole whos smiling, "maybe you should slow down."

"yeah, you're right." i hand shayla back the flask.

"how you feeling?" nicole asks me.

i look at her confused, "what?"

"oh, conrad told me all about how you lost your dad. im so sorry you had to go through that."

my heart shatters and my hands begin to sweat. he told her, nicole, this girl he's hooking up with, about the death of my father?

"imagine losing a father." gigi speaks up, the girls all nodding in agreement.

"wait, your dad is the man who was attacked by a shark 5 years ago?" i nod as i feel my eyes swell up in tears, "that must of sucked."

"marisa, really?" nicole snaps at her as she holds her hands up.

they continue to ask more questions but i don't even hear them. my mind is somewhere else. how could he? i trusted him. who knows what else he's told her.