her prince charming

*WARNING this part has dark stuff, and spoilers for all seasons*

reid just fell asleep holding amber and his phone starts ringing, waking amber up with a gasp, reid tells her it's ok, he answers his phone.

"spencer reid" he says into the phone.

"mr. reid this is holly from Bennington sanitarium, i'm calling about your mom Diana"

"what's wrong!" reid asks amber jumping up from the sofa, and reid jumping to his feet as well.  

"well nothing to bad, your mother is having one of her bad days, and she is asking for you, she wants to go home, could you come and calm her down, again?" 

"um, i am on a case, i don't know if i can make it" he pants into the phone.

"you can't make it?, you always come, but ok you are working i understand that"

"spencer, specner, what's wrong?" amber asks with panic.

"it's my mom" he whispers.

"your mom, well then go, she needs you"

"um, i might make it, can i call you back?, i need to think about it"

"sure" holly tells him.

reid thinking, what am i doing, my mom needs me and i have to think about it? maybe prison has turned me into someone different, i never would have thought about it, i just would have dropped everything to be there for her.

he stood there rubbing his face and thinking, till he felt a tug on his right arm.

"spencer please answer me, is your mom ok?" amber asked.

"yeah....no she needs me, and i can't be there for her, not now"

"why" amber asked.

"because you need me"

"oh my god spencer no, you need to help your mother, i can have someone else stay, as hard as it will be for me, i can't have you here when your mom needs you"

"i  don't know, i .....i should go, but if i leave you and something happens, i will never forgive myself" he sighs.

"and if you don't and something happens to you mom you will never forgive, you're self"

"but who will you be ok with having here?" reid asked.

"i don't know"

"i will call my boss" reid tells her taking out his phone.

reid calls hotch.

"hotchner" 

"hi is reid, i need to leave can someone take over for me?" reid asks, rocking back and forth.

"what's wrong?" hotch asks.

"my mom needs me, and i need to go help her, i know i said i would stay, i'm sorry"

"it's ok reid family comes first sometimes, i'm glad you know that i will have Prentiss cover for you, will amber be ok with that?"

"i think so" reid answers. 

"ok, she will be there soon"

"ok, thank you hotch"

"one of my co-workers will be staying here with you, her name is emily prentiss, i think you will like her"

"her? good" amber said as she sat on the chair in the dining room.

"she will be here soon, i will stay till she gets here"