Chapter 19

(Monsoon)

Khushi Kumari Gupta re-entered AR Designs, to hear a rather irate voice reverberating through the walls. It didn't take her long to figure out who it must be.

She slowly moved into the office space, taking in the gigantic open area with individual work spaces grouped into smaller work areas, leaving open a space smack dab in the middle of the circular tome. A swirling staircase led to it, down from an office on the first floor, its glass windows see-through.

It was the open area where her eyes stayed, though. Half-drenched in a three-piece black suit, Arnav Singh Raizada was cracking open his employees in an attempt to know why the fire alarms had gone off. Khushi gulped, knowing seeing her would only incense him more.

"ASR, we found the issue." An employee confidently strode in from behind her. "Someone lit the diya near the goddess idol Anjali Mam put up."

Khushi gulped again, as Arnav looked right at her before moving his eyes to the employee. "Which idiot in this office is new? Don't you read the regulations? The idol is a stone. Lighting a fire in office premises would always be a hazard."

There was no answer.

"Should I start firing people to compensate for the deal we lost today? If you own up, your colleagues will at least respect you. If I find out on my own, forget a recommendation letter, you will be blacklisted."

"Bhai-"

"I did it." Khushi interrupted.

As all eyes turned to her, she heard him. "Shut up, Khushi. Leave."

"I'm not letting you fire your staff for something I did." Khushi stepped forward.

"Khushi, why would-"

"Do you have any idea what you cost me today, Khushi?!" Arnav seemed to not hear Akash.

"Do you?!" Khushi fired. "What has happened to you, Arnav? You don't talk to Akash. You don't talk to your family. You're barely home-"

"Shut up, Khushi!" Arnav yelled.

"I will when you WAKE THE HELL UP."

It was a testament of their love that he did not yell back. "What do you think you're doing?" He growled instead.

Khushi stepped closer to a desk. In a swift motion, she threw half a jug of water at him. If his employees were shocked before, they were highly interested now, for sure.

For at the next moment, a jugful of water was aimed at her. She ducked and heard a scream. Then, a giggle. She turned, fighting a smile at Lavanya Mathur's drenched form holding a laughing Ananya in her arms. "Papa, holi!"

"What the hell happened in here?" Aman Mathur asked from beside his drenched wife.

"We're just having a holi rehearsal, didn't you hear you daughter?" Khushi teased. "After all, it will be Payal's first Holi at her in-laws. Won't it, Arnav?"

"Your Sanka Devi avatar isn't helping, Khushi." Lavanya looked at her.

"Yes."

Khushi turned to Arnav in triumph. "Will you repeat that looking at the groom, please?"

"I don't need you to fix my relationships."

"If my sister isn't engaged in a month, I'll book you a psychiatrist to fix them." She challenged. "Maybe your aim, too, Chhote."

"Okay, everyone back to there desks!" Aman ordered. "Do you want to resign or should I fire every single one of you?"

As everyone scattered, Aman turned to her. "What are you, sixteen? You threw water at ASR?"