Chapter 23

(Bars)

Arnav Singh Raizada realized, belatedly, what a fool he had been. Of course Ajay Malik was causing a ruckus.

"What did he do now?" Arnav asked his trusted servant.

Sudhir spoke. "Keeps yelling about not knowing. Keeps yelling that Memsab knows more than she lets on."

"Dadi has still not returned?"

"No, Arnav baba. We have searched every home, every temple, every pilgrimage."

"Keep trying. Keep feeding him. I don't want him to die under my roof."

Arnav looked around the farmhouse, decked in red and gold, ready for a commitment only law could take away, or death. It was ironic that the bloodline he was supposed to live up to had caused only death around him.

Chin up, Arnav. Maybe, it's time to fix that.

(Shambles)

"What do you mean you cannot find him? Do you know what I'll do to you if you don't?" Shivaay Oberoi thundered. This was was supposed to be a memorable day. Payal and Akash had gotten married only hours ago. "If you don't bring me Aarav Singh Raizada, you can kiss your job goodbye."

Shivaay looked at the other occupants of the living hall. How had things turned so upside down? Wasn't it just this evening he had thought of forgiving Arnav? And then he went and did this.

"What did they say?" Sheetal's face was white as sheet, having been briefed on exactly what she had done wrong.

"You don't get to talk." Arnav yelled. "Why would you give him my name? Don't you know me but at all?"

"He's, he's your-"

"Then why am I hearing about this now? Was I incapable of being a father when he was born? Was I that incapable, Sheetal, that you had to give him up?"

Khushi stood at the corner, not wanting to interfere in what was clearly not her business.

"I only.. I didn't know you were still there. I thought you left." Sheetal stuttered.

"I graduated two years ago because I was building my company. If you had tried to reach me before, this wouldn't have happened. My son."

"Arnav, I had no idea that... He's my son, too Arnav. Do you think it was easy to make that call?"

"Well, it must have been if you opted for a closed adoption. How did you even find him?"

Khushi jerked her head up. Closed adoption? What was Arnav talking about? She searched his face, filled with betrayal, for any signs of love.

"Forget that, I was in London that year. Oxford knew. It would have been damn easy for you to get to me, had you tried, Sheetal. Now my son is out there seeing God knows what because you chose to gift him my name when it would have been safer for him to be regarded an orphan." Arnav choked.

"So, you accept him?" Sheetal whispered.

"Well, what can I say. I don't know him from Adam. And I won't, thanks to you."

Khushi indicated Shivaay to come to her. While Shyam tried to calm Arnav down, Khushi whispered to her brother. "Since when have you known this?"

"Three hours ago. Why?"

"Aarav was born in London?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure? He was born in London? In 95?"