Chapter IX - Pulsing drums of the heart

Sormei and Ruke woke up after hearing voices.

They were discussing something.

Ruke and Sormei felt the sticking pain of the branches in the bushes as they quietly moved around in the bush to see what these people were talking about.

They noticed that there were multiple boats on the shores. Some of them were similar to Sormei and Ruke's but some were giant, being able to hold at least 20 people each.

The people were wearing beige coats and brown shirts although some of them had tied them around their waists. They were connected by small white leather straps and they had yellow, blue or green stripes and belts around them. They had tight navy blue pants, covered by a set of black shorts. They all had whistles matching their belt's color. On the back of their coats stood the letters AFP. They also had weird hats on their heads that were like fluffy sacks and that resembled turtle shells. There were also big black goggles sitting in them.

They noticed that some of the people in yellow were checking out Sormei and Ruke's boat, they were fixated on Bradsei's blood on the boat.

It seemed like the one who was striped with orange was the commander who gave the orders.

The ones in blue were transporting the luggage onto the island.

The ones in yellow were discussing with each other and were scouting out the area.

The ones in green were also scouting out the area but had weapons.

Their weapons were odd.

They had spiked balls on their belts. Some of the yellow ones had netts and the green ones had weird wooden bows that were attached to a sort of cannon.

Ruke and Sormei had no idea what was going on. Perhaps they were also on the hunt for the vampire or maybe they were after them. They didn't know and they didn't want to test their luck so they sneaked to one of the boats and saw that they had extra attire on them. Ruke and Sormei undressed behind a large bush and put it on but they realized that these attire didn't have whistles nor the belts. They were striped but lacked the belt. Sormei had a green belt from his usual attire but Ruke didn't.

Ruke then saw that his sleeveless shirt was still bloodied, stained from the blood of Bradsei. He ripped it and now had a crudely made red belt.

They were now disguised and now just needed to pretend.

Sormei thought up a lie for Ruke to say.

"If they question you about your red belt," Started Sormei while they were still hiding. "Just say that you lost your green one and just put on a red one, okay?" Ruke shook his yes and they went out to the group.

Sormei wasn't too concerned about them not having whistles. They could easily lie about losing them on the way over

Ruke's clothes were too small for him, stretching around his chest.

Sormei's clothes were too big for him, almost hanging from on him.

Some people looked at Ruke with confusion but when they saw Sormei with him, they dropped their gazes and continued with what they were doing.

"It didn't know they let second beginners test out," stated a man striped also in green.

Ruke was petrified.

What should he say? They know what a person with a red belt is but he doesn't!

Ruke was about to say what Sormei told him to say but the man interrupted him.