destiny decried

Leon and Therese's break up never took a toll on their personal relationship. They were mature and professional enough to keep ends meet and never mix what once was pleasure in their business as politicians.

However, Leon running for this term as a presidential candidate was unforeseen. Although it was something Therese has been hoping and vying for for years on end, she kept mum on her wish. She knew what it would cost Leon and her family—the peace that kept being taken away from them ever since they opened themselves to the public, ever since Joseph died.

Nonetheless, Therese remained hopeful. When she received the call from Leon, it felt as though the Universe kept conspiring with her and Leni. 'I want you to be in my slate, Therese.'

Oh how she wanted to so badly. She's eager to be a part of Leon's journey, her very own movement that would once awaken the dying democracy in the country.

'I want you to be in my slate, Senator Therese. Be my Senator, be my Vice President. Either way, I just want you by my side when we win this.'

The struggle that Therese had to endure as she kept herself calm was unfathomable, but she kept it bottled up. 'I guess, I guess I'll run as your Senator. I mean- I'll run for re-election.'

They couldn't see each other, but deep in their hearts they knew that they were sharing a smile. 'Thank you, Reese. Bye.'

The entire idea of the wild ride that is campaign sorties left Therese and Leon stoked, initially. However, the day-to-day sight and time spent with each other felt as though they're both being backtracked to square one. Back where they spend nights enveloped in each other's arms, forehead kisses as the day ends and as the day starts.

It felt like home, if home was a person, and a situation. So, the courageous woman that she is—albeit having difficulties in letting people go—took into herself to declare a boundary.

Leon was at the tent saying her hi and hellos to the volunteer talents and the family members of her senatorial slate when suddenly, Therese called her name and took her hand immediately.

A letter.

Therese left swiftly as it was the time for the senatorial slate to give their respective speeches. It shouldn't be, she shouldn't be, but Leon felt sad. Usually, Therese would wait for Leon to acknowledge her, but now, it's as if Leon's affirmation didn't matter.

She let her feelings aside and focused on the letter Therese gave her. Leon beckoned to her close-in security for a clear pathway going to her van. She wanted peace. Reading Therese's letters will always be a moment Leon would never share with anyone, not even with her daughters. It was something intimate that only she and Therese shared.

She had her reading glasses ready, the smell of lilies' aroma immersed from the letter. Leon's name in Therese's usual longhand writing.

Dearest Leon,

We're a month in in our campaign. The Pink movement has been nothing but a string of hope for the people, most especially for me. Seeing you strive hard to send your message to fight for and with democracy swells my heart. Isabel told me that: "attending VP Leon's sorties made something inside me feel alive. Something in me awakened, Mama. Waking up now feels so hopeful, most especially the thought of her winning."

She wasn't wrong, because I, too, feel hopeful. Awakened. Alive.

However—and I know you've been feeling this way, too (I can tell. I've loved you long enough to know what comes, goes and stays in your silly little mind)—I feel like we have to keep our distance from each other to a maximum.

I don't think I have to delve further into the whys, but I cannot go back to square one and not call you mine. Not now, not ever.

So this letter serves as a tangible reminder that I will always be here for you... even from afar. I'll always be your senator, and i'll always be your hypothetical vice president... and probably in another universe, either endearments do not have to exist, because in an ideal universe—the non-withstanding endearment would be, my wife.

In an ideal universe.

There's a saying that 'if two past lovers can remain friends, it's either they are still in love or never were' and I think if I were to be honest with you, to acknowledge that I have never loved you would be the biggest lie I'll ever make. But you know damn well that I couldn't omit that, not now. Not ever.

So let me say this to you, if the multiverse was real, I hope every version of us would never have to break up—and if we do, I hope the invisible string that ties twin flames together bring us back to each other.

But I guess the only withstanding wish in this universe is for the two of us to be together in another life. You will always be my greatest love, Leon. Pinipili at pipiliin ka sa araw-araw.

Araw-araw kang minamahal,

Therese