something beautiful died

Ever since Leon gave her letter to Therese, it was radio silence for the both of them. It was an unsaid oath that they were to respect their friendship and talk only when it's needed, only when it's necessary.

Funny how fate works and conspires to make things happen; when you try to withstand the invisible string that ties you with the person, you see them on a Sunday at your favourite church where you've confessed your love for each other. Hell, you're late for the mass and the only available seat is beside your ex-girlfriend who also happens to be the former Vice President of the Philippines.

"Hello... L-" It's funny how awkward this is. Therese doesn't even know whether to refer to Leon as VP, Atty., or her actual first name. Although, to be honest, she was almost gonna say 'Love', had the priest not sang in the midst of her greeting to Leon.

They've encountered each other in sorties even after the letters were given and exchanged, and they were... ok. They were colleagues, at the end of the day. There wasn't a tinge of awkwardness. But it's different here.
It's different when you're in the place where you've promised to love and hold each other. It's different when you are to tell the truth, but you have no choice but to keep the lie.

It's different when the two of you are back to the place that once bonded you. It's different when you thought, after all this time, nothing will tear you apart.

"Hello, Sen., good morning!" Leon did not even know where she got the enthusiasm. The woman before her, after all, is just her colleague? Nonetheless, she was stoked beyond belief.

Therese giggled at Leon's joviality.

"Ganda ganda mo naman." Leon brought herself closer to Therese to whisper the compliment. The minuscule distance between Leon and Therese was already enough to make her stomach squirm, but there's something about the way it was said that brought Therese back to Cloud 9.

(Akala ko ba, hindi tayo babalik sa square one, self?)

Unbeknownst to both women, their thoughts are coinciding with each other. Seeing one another in this place gives them some sort of peace. Church of Gesu is a haven as it is, but it's different when you're in the place of God with the one that you've truly loved? Love? They weren't sure which was which.

"Ok lang?" Leon asked. She was about to reach for Therese's hand but realised that this is no longer a routine for them but a once in a blue moon occurrence.

"Ok lang." Therese smiled at Leon's respectfulness. It reminds her of how much consent driven Leon was when they first locked lips.

The closest to a hand holding that they've done since they've broken up was to shake each other's hands or worse, bump each other's fists. But today, of all days, they were going to hold hands. You'd think God was kind enough to have given them this time.

They were focused on singing along, until Leon's grip on Therese's hand was tighter than it was—as if to gesture that she missed her. Something about the familiarity made Risa go with the flow. After all, they were in His house and they were joining hands in His name.

This is not totally going to bring any buried feelings back, Therese mutters at the back of her head, as if to reassure her that this day will end with her and Leon parting ways just like the colleagues that they actually are.

In the midst of their joining hands, the pink leather band got Leon's attention—a tangible reminder of them trying, a tangible reminder of what could have been.

The mass proceeded as per usual, time went on, and they've reached the part where they would usually kiss each other's forehead and hug each other for five seconds as a sign of peace, but ever since they've broken up, this is the first time that they're attending the mass as friends.