Chapter 5 - The Park - Travis's POV

I got home a little later than usual, a few hours later. I went to the store to pick up some pens with the money Phillip gave me for watching his cats for a few hours last weekend. It was very boring, they pretty much laid in the same spot the entire time. All I had to do was fill their food, but that's beside the point. I got a rainbow pack of pens. Now that I'm home, I set my pens and backpack on the table and got my homework out. I begin to look through my packet for physics and answer some questions. I hear footsteps from the stairs, great.

"Hello father." I greet him.

"Travis. Do you have any work for me to check?"

I feel my chest sink. My heart starts racing and my mind scatters.

"Yes." I go into my back and pull out my science test, handing it to him.

"A B?"

"Yes."

"Why the hell did you get a B? Are you a moron?" He asks.

"No father, it's just that ive-" Her grabs my arm, pulling me out of my seat.

"I don't need your excuses, Travis." He punches me, same spot as always. "I do this for you, Travis! Maybe then this will make you less of a disappointment and more of a man."

I feel tears form the corners of my eyes, I don't want to cry, boys don't cry, especially not in front of my old man.

"Men don't cry Travis." He slaps me then lets go of my arm and pushes me into my chair.

"What are these?" He picks up my pens.

"They're pens, father."

"Well shit, not only are you a moron, but you're a faggot too? No wonder you're such a disappointment." He throws the pens to the ground and leaves, going back upstairs. God, I hate my life. I hope this is the last time this happens. Please god. I stick my finger under my eye and feel tears. Shit. I quickly wipe them away and continue my homework.

Homework took me about an hour. Father is right, I am a moron. I grab my pens and run upstairs. I go into my room and start journaling.

Dear Journal, I got a B on my science test, Father hit me because of it but I prayed, for the first time in a while, I prayed. I hope it works. I also got some new pens, That's all. - Travis

I finished journaling quickly because not much happened today. I decide to go to the park. It's about 7, I sneak out my window and slide down from the roof onto my grass. The fall wasn't too bad. I got a small scratch from the roof tile on my arm but that's nothing compared to some other painful things I've been through.

I run as quietly as I can until I'm far enough away from the house that father can see me if he looks out the window. I stop and catch my breath and walk the rest of the way to the park. After about 5 minutes or so I arrive at the park. I brought my journal and pens so I start doodling.

I doodle some and then hear footsteps, I look out past where I'm sitting.

It's Sal Fisher, he's by himself. I quietly go down a slide and try to get further away from him. I wonder why he's by himself. What? Did Larry finally get over him? Ash dump him? I know nothing is "confirmed" with them, but I swear they have to be together. I mean I've never seen them kiss or anything but I hear people talk about them. I don't know.

I zone out and start drawing again, I'm not an artist of any sort so it's mostly just stick figures and shit. After a bit I hear more footsteps. They're getting closer. They're his footsteps. I look for a way out but there's only one exit, which is also the entrance, where he is. God damn it. He probably saw me.

"Travis?"

"Freak Face."

"Why do you call me that?"

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because it's rude"

"People aren't nice to me, why should I be nice? I'm not going to let people step all over me."

He sighs.

"People wouldn't be rude to you if you aren't." He says.

Now I'm sighing.

"I don't know, It's whatever."

"Just try?" He groaned.

"No! I'm not going to let some faggot tell me what to do!" I yelled.

"Travis, I have an idea." He started, "Why don't we get to know each other? Maybe we can relate to something."

Oh my god.

"Why would I want to relate to some fag? I don't want to "get to know you." We aren't doing some 3rd grade icebreaker." I rolled my eyes.

"Because, I want to be able to be your friend Travis, I want to be able to talk to you without being punched. You could use some friends."

"What the fuck does that mean?! Get the fuck out of here freak. You deserve to be punched, fag!" I yell, louder than before.

"Okay." He hesitated but got up and left. I watched him walk away and leave the park.

Thank god he's gone. He deserves everything he gets, besides, why would he want to be my friend? He already has enough, unless I was right. That would make sense. I'm his best option now that he's lonely. God, trying to befriend his bully? What a moron.